Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unhappy budgie

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MidnightIris 
#1 · (Edited)
Unhappy budgie **Happy Update**

So, we're at the end of week four with my new budgie and he isn't much happier than the day I brought him home from the pet store. He doesn't say much at all unless I sing very loudly for a minute or two then he may join in but stops when I do. I have only seen him play with his bell twice and never with the other toys in his cage. He will eat from a millet sprig when offered from my hand but refuses to step on my hand in any way. We spend five hours a day side-by-side in my office having pleasant conversation with TV or music in the background. I often offer treats while holding my hand in the cage for 10-20 minutes at a time and I do it again before and after dinner in the kitchen (yes, I move him around with me). It looks like he stalled out in his molt--no more pin feathers but half a barred forehead still. Is there birdie happy pills? Is he still so unhappy he doesn't do anything? I stopped playing the budgies on youtube three weeks ago as I thought he was possibly looking for them instead of bonding with me. Should I get him a mirror? I offer seeds, an added stress powder on top of that, crumbles, fresh broccoli, carrot and kale every day. He is very interested in the broccoli--he twirls it round and round in his beak but there is very little actually eating of it from what I can tell. What's a mother to do?

#2 ·
One month really isn't that long and some budgies, especially the more shy ones will take a longer amount of time to truly settle in their new home and to open up to their human family.
There aren't any happy pills nor magic spells to fully tame a pet bird overnight or to make them suddenly very playful and exuding over the top enthusiasm/happiness.
After the bond is established, it's important to strengthen, solidify and maintain it through the daily interactions, this is a never ending process.

Adding a mirror is not advisable, especially when it comes to a solo bird because the chances for the budgie to develop an unhealthy attachment to the bird in the mirror are much higher and this would negatively impact current bond established and have repercussion also in the progress done in taming.
There are also mental and physical health implications if the budgie becomes obsessed with his reflection on the mirror and problems with over regurgitation onto the mirror and increased matings would lead to severe weight loss and even digestive issues in more severe cases.

You can give your budgie more time and continue your work in taming him.
For all the information and tips on this specific subject, be sure to check the stickies at the Taming and Bonding section.

Once you have a better grasp of your budgie's personality and depending on how strong of a bond you will have with him, you can later on have a better understanding to reach a conclusion and to then decide whether getting your budgie a little buddy will be the best option for his overall welfare and happiness or not.

Good luck!

#4 ·
So we have had quite the turn around with this little guy! I got him at approximately 3.5 months and he was not a happy guy until he turned 6.5 months. He started a molt, and started talking almost on the same day! He also started interacting with me! He is active and interested, says several phrases "**** it Jim, I'm only a doctor", "I'm just a baby bird" plus several other shorter words and phrases. He's even eager to jump to my finger and stay on my shoulder!

So, the moral of the story, it may take some time, but don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.