1 Male with 2 Females? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: 1 Male with 2 Females?

Shu
11-26-2011, 06:49 PM
I have a large Cage that has 5 budgies in it, 1 Male and 4 females, only two of them are ready for mating, anyway i noticed that the male is mating with two of them. So i was wondering, can he care for both if both laid eggs or should i pair him with only one of the two females?! :S

CaptainHowdy
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
How old are these birds? What diet are they on?

Take out one male and one female and put them in a separate breeding cage, if you allow him to mate with both hens he will either kill himself by trying to feed and the raise two clutches at the same time or he will favour one hen and the other hen could potentially loose chicks or die trying to raise them, thats assuming the hens don't kill each other or eggs or chicks in the meantime, not to mention the other 2 hens who could strt to interfere.

You should take a look at some of the threas in the breeding section, especially the ones regarding the correct diet, if you have any nestboxes in this cage remove them immdiently.

I would hold off breeding for now and do more research first.

Bec-eee
11-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Pair him with only one female. It won't be healthy in the long run for the male and he could die :( and females can get nasty so they could fight too

http:\\www.cmtwebdesign.co.uk/images/budgies/bsiggy.jpg

Shu
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Mmm.. Thanks for the advise i've worked with it and paired him with one female :D ,, And don't worry it's not my first time breeding i've done it many times before and as for their diet they are served seeds daily ofcourse and eggfood mixed with veggies twice a week and a cuttlebone to provide them with calcium.

Shu
11-27-2011, 05:40 PM
and as for their age they are about 4 or 5 months and they moulted when they were 3 months old so they are sexually mature enough to breed

Athyx
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
and as for their age they are about 4 or 5 months and they moulted when they were 3 months old so they are sexually mature enough to breed

It's dangerous to breed budgies before they're at least a year old! They're not fully grown, even if they are sexually mature! Some people would say that hens shouldn't even breed until 18 months old.

"Age: The age of the breeding birds must be known so that you know they are mentally and physically ready to rear offspring. The youngest that most breeders accept as a safe age is one year. Many feel that 18 months is better. Budgies themselves are physically able to breed by the age of 6 months, but in humans years this equates to 13 -14 years of age. At 6 months they simply are not mentally ready for the task of breeding.

Many problems can arise if you attempt to breed with budgies that are too young. They can start to eat eggs, which once started can be hard to stop a bird from continuing, they can abandon nests and eggs or worse attack the young when they hatch."
Source: http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=8&id=121&artlang=en

Dekey
11-28-2011, 01:37 AM
no its to much to ask of him

Shu
11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
I've breed many birds this age before and no problem happenned, what will i do when i see them mating?! ,, Separate them. I see it's really cruel. Come on they have feelings and they bond together, i can't forbid them from mating or doing what they want. And if it's dangerous to mate before they are 1 year old, how do survive in nature?.. :\

Ryan Campbell
11-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I've breed many birds this age before and no problem happenned, what will i do when i see them mating?! ,, Separate them. I see it's really cruel. Come on they have feelings and they bond together, i can't forbid them from mating or doing what they want. And if it's dangerous to mate before they are 1 year old, how do survive in nature?.. :\
a toddler wants to eat anything in sight, etc etc it doesn't mean we let it. In "nature" budgies will NOT mate before a year old and iv'e no idea where that myth came from. In nature they will breed when grass seed and water is abundant, namely the rain season. Which is usually (as far as i know) each year, not every few months, sometimes budgies wont breed for years, due to droughts etc. It would be seldom found a budgie mating younger than a year.

Shu
11-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Mmm.. Thanks for the usefull information,, but how to forbid them from mating?! ,, is it an option?!

CaptainHowdy
11-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Mmm.. Thanks for the usefull information,, but how to forbid them from mating?! ,, is it an option?!

You may think you've managed it many times before without problems but you may have actually caused problems in the young bird as it adds a lot of stress on them especially when they are still growing.

In nature they will not breed at that age as it would not be the correct season to do.

Wait until the males are 12months min and the hens 18 months min, do not breed a hen over 3 years as you run a much higher of eggbinding etc. If a Hen becomes eggbound at any age they must not be bred again, once they are eggbound they are more prone to eggbinding.

When breeding they need eggfood and veggies DAILY not twice a week, they need cuttlefish, iodine block and mineral block in their cage at all times whether breeding or not.

The reason they are trying to breed at this age is because you had a nest box in the cage with them. Take out the nest box, leave all the birds in one cage and they are not old enough to breed anyway. Reduce day time hours to 8 hours of light a day. So once they have had 8 hours of light cover them over and keep them somewhere quiet.

Anything that resemebles a nest box also needs to be removed.

I suggest you research breeding a lot more before attempting it again.

Ryan Campbell
11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
i would just leave them be for now, do not provide anything remotely like a nest box. Budgies can mate (as us humans do) for lets say "pleasure". But from my personal experience, as long as they don't have a nest box ,not only will they not lay eggs but they wont show the slightest interest in doing so. They will ofcourse when in condition sing more (or in the hens case screech like it's world war) and "flirt". But generally iv'e never had them lay a egg. (Although a relative of mine has had one who was very determined and layed a clutch on the cage floor, but like i say in general that doesn't happen). Lastly (this might sound daft, but it happens) are you positive their mating?. Sometimes it can just be a dominance gesture.
i agree with C.H. you should probably read up a little on breeding :). This is a great start and helped me alot ~
http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/basicbreeding.htm. It's long but, quite interesting :).
Also if you want you can seperate them until the hen is out of condition (her cere/nostril area turns blue) after she is out o condition she generally wont want to breed. But i agree with you (i think it was you who said it) It's a cruel way to go about stopping them breeding though, as they do form bonds.

Shu
11-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm not adding a nestbox for them at all and i don't want to hurt them also and as for the eggfood i once provided it daily to a breeding pair but they died because of diarrhea so i reduced their eggfood to twice a week.. r u sure it should be served daily? :\

CaptainHowdy
11-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm not adding a nestbox for them at all and i don't want to hurt them also and as for the eggfood i once provided it daily to a breeding pair but they died because of diarrhea so i reduced their eggfood to twice a week.. r u sure it should be served daily? :\

Mine get dry eggfood daily throughout the year regardless. When breeding they still get the dry eggfood and also home made eggfood mixed with veggies daily but you must remember to remove it an hour or so later to prevent it spoiling.

If birds are not used to veggies it can give them diarrhea for a time, I have never had this problem with my birds.

Shu
11-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Ohh!! ,, Well.. Thanks :D ,, I'll work with What you said :)

Ryan Campbell
11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Mine get dry eggfood daily throughout the year regardless. When breeding they still get the dry eggfood and also home made eggfood mixed with veggies daily but you must remember to remove it an hour or so later to prevent it spoiling.

If birds are not used to veggies it can give them diarrhea for a time, I have never had this problem with my birds.
i agree with C.H. :) (although i feed my lot eggfood every second day to every third). The eggfood you gave them may have spoiled(or been a bad batch), which could have killed them in the end, and caused diarrhea(among other things)(although as C.H. said birds newly introduced to veg/eggfood can get diarrhea) i add either grape fruit seed extract (only a drop or two) or a pinch of garlic powder, it helps to reduce the risk of spoiling, but the eggfood still has to be removed after a few hours :). Garlic also has a lot of added health benefits.
edit just noticed, dry eggfood can be left in for a a good while (but i wouldn't leave it longer than a day). it's the moisted eggfood i was referring to :)