Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Your Budgie's Health > Diseases and Illnesses

Notices

Diseases and Illnesses Talk about any diseases, illnesses or other health concerns that may be affecting your budgie.
Thread Description:what do you use?

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Jencelena (Jennie)
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 3
Jencelena is a jewel in the roughJencelena is a jewel in the roughJencelena is a jewel in the roughJencelena is a jewel in the rough
Default Antibiotics and Probiotics

There are a lot of antibiotics and probiotics out there. I want to give my birds probiotics to help, but also want to give them antibiotics in case they have anything. I think a few might have sack mites (I think they are called that, some make a wheezing noise when they fly for longer periods and they just started).

So, what probiotics and antibiotics do you guys use? And where do you get them at? What can treat sack mites?

Thanks!

**16 Budgies, 3 Love birds, 2 Cockatiels, 1 Blue Headed Pionus, 2 Labrador Retrievers, 2 Cats**
http://jensaviary.weebly.com/
Jen's Aviary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 PM
AAYLLAA
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 7
AAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really nice

My birds have been on Bactrim and another type of antibiotic. Buddy however does not tolerate the one I can't remember the name of at the moment. She actually does not mind Bactrim. I use Florentero as a probiotic. My vet gave it to me. Just have to be careful with the dosing. My flock has been on it weekly. Also, daily after antibiotic treatments.

Loves of my life.
Thanks for the sig Deborah!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Jencelena (Jennie)
Budgie
State:

Jencelena is a jewel in the roughJencelena is a jewel in the roughJencelena is a jewel in the roughJencelena is a jewel in the rough

How often do you give both? It was a little confusing. sorry But thanks! I will look into those

**16 Budgies, 3 Love birds, 2 Cockatiels, 1 Blue Headed Pionus, 2 Labrador Retrievers, 2 Cats**
Jen's Aviary

Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
AAYLLAA
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 7
AAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really niceAAYLLAA is just really nice

Antibiotics I give as directed. Usually 0.05cc every 12 hrs. Probiotics I give after treatment with antibiotics daily for 7 days then weekly after that. Follow instruction on products.

Loves of my life.
Thanks for the sig Deborah!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Jencelena (Jennie)
Budgie
State:

Thanks. I didn't know you gave probiotics so frequently

Jen's Aviary

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencelena View Post
Thanks. I didn't know you gave probiotics so frequently

I don't think your supposed to.

but just an FYI a lot of people do not know, that for a few weeks after Antibiotics are given birds are infertile

Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Jencelena (Jennie)
Budgie
State:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvchick95 View Post

I don't think your supposed to.

but just an FYI a lot of people do not know, that for a few weeks after Antibiotics are given birds are infertile

That is great to know! Thanks!

Jen's Aviary

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencelena View Post

That is great to know! Thanks!

your welcome

I didn't know it either, and I had to give one of my female's Baytril and my b/f's dad told him to tell me she'd be infertile for a few weeks, Well I figured it was just a pigeon thing So i looked it up and it wasn't just a pigeon thing after all lol

not that i was breeding her or anything. but it was nice to know for future references

Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Jencelena (Jennie)
Budgie
State:

Yes that is nice to know

Jen's Aviary

Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
akane
Young Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 6
akane has a spectacular aura aboutakane has a spectacular aura aboutakane has a spectacular aura about

I use the antibiotic determined the best for a given infection diagnosed by tests when necessary. In the US you will have to see a vet to get most of the good and safer antibiotics unless you order from overseas which can be dangerous since you don't know exactly who if anyone is controlling the quality and probably illegal. The only thing available otc are usually from feed stores for livestock and mostly include penicillin and tetracyclines. Even if those are appropriate for your use the dosage will be difficult because they are in a concentration and sold in an amount suitable for use in large livestock. For treating a large rabbit I have to measure out 1/10th of a cc. Anything below that is not measurable on the smallest syringe sold in stores and requires diluting to a given solution and being able to calculate the dose from it. I do buy some smaller syringes from my vet so I can measure out small enough dosages of things for baby rabbits and guinea pigs. To get bactrim, other sulfa drugs, doxycycline, etc.. a vet will have to diagnose and decide which antibiotic is best for a given use. No antibiotic is perfect for every situation so you can't just have a favorite antibiotic. It varies depending what they are ill with and may require tests to see what type of bacteria they are carrying.

Respiratory mites need to be treated with both a medication like ivermectin to kill the mites (you can get ivermectin otc in many forms in the US but again since it's sold for livestock it will probably require dilution) and an antibiotic to stop any infection the mites have caused by irritation to the respiratory tract. We got 2 budgies that a little over a month later showed symptoms of respiratory tract mites, tail bobbing, unable to fly far, lethargic.... We took them to the vet and then treated the whole flock. The 2 who seemed to have carried it in and were the worst got doxycycline injections and then they all received trimethoprim/sulfa aka bactrim in the water for 10 days. They were given 3 doses of ivermectin orally 7 and then 10 days apart.

1 members found this post helpful.
Closed Thread