Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Off Topic > Chit-Chat > Other Birds

Notices

Other Birds Do you own other birds? Or are you thinking about exploring other species? Chat here.
Thread Description:got this straight from birdchannel

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person
Exclamation update on PA ban on Nanday conures

Pennsylvania Drops Conure Ban

Proposal to ban nanday conures in the state of Pennsylvania was dropped Tuesday

By Rose Gordon

Nanday conures are allowed to stay in the state of Pennsylvania as pet birds.A proposal to ban the possession and sale of nanday conures in Pennsylvania was dismissed by the state’s Game Commission.
Some pet bird clubs and organizations, including the American Federation of Aviculture, had planned to testify against the ban during the commission’s meeting earlier this week.
“For now they’ve dropped it,” said Kathy Wilson, secretary to the director of the commission. “They agreed with a lot of the presentation.”
Wilson said some presenters testified that escaped nanday conures would not “cause the same problems as quakers,” so the commission decided to dismiss the proposal that would have amended the state code to “prohibit the importation, possession, sale and release” nanday conures (Nandayus nenday), a South American parrot “in response to human health/safety and wildlife habitat.” Quaker parakeets, another popular pet bird native to South America, are already illegal in Pennsylvania.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
LadyBlue
Baby Budgie
State:

Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
LadyBlue is on a distinguished road

Why one earth would
they ban conures?!

>_<

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
clicklbd
Hatchling
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
clicklbd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBlue View Post
Why one earth would
they ban conures?!

>_<
I live in PA, and we have a LOT of anti-pet legislation being proposed right now. Organizations like the Humane Society of the United States and PeTA are working with our Governor, who unfortunately, doesn't get it. He doesn't seem to get their ulterior motives are to eventually make it so no one owns an animal.

So anyway, the ban on conures I'm sure was somehow a seed started by these charming organizations.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
distract_a_girl
Egg
State:

Gallery: 14
distract_a_girl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicklbd View Post
I live in PA, and we have a LOT of anti-pet legislation being proposed right now. Organizations like the Humane Society of the United States and PeTA are working with our Governor, who unfortunately, doesn't get it. He doesn't seem to get their ulterior motives are to eventually make it so no one owns an animal.

So anyway, the ban on conures I'm sure was somehow a seed started by these charming organizations.
I wouldn't blame the humane society. The humane society's goals are for the health and welfare of pets. Peta, on the other, is anti-pet. Though they may have good intentions, they believe that no animal should be "owned" by a person. However, I don't doubt that either organization has the best intentions for the animals.

That being said, Quaker parrots are illegal in many areas. Quakers are from the Andes mountain regions and can handle cooler temperatures. There are feral colonies in New York and Chicago, for example. Someone, somewhere, thought that Nandays may possess the same "threat," I'm sure. It's sad to see how misinformation can cause problems. Ferrets, for example, are illegal to sell/own in Washington DC, New York City, California, and Hawaii. (Hawaii, being an island, I can actually understand). They are under the misinformation that ferrets are completely wild animals, even though they have, in fact, been domesticated for as long as cats, and there are no known feral colonies of ferrets (in the US or elsewhere). All it takes is one idiot to light a match that fuels a fire big enough to burn down a village.

This is scary news for bird owners. If this legislation goes through, “Nandays already in PA would also become illegal and subject to confiscation and euthanasia as pests if this proposal becomes law,” Anyone living in PA should contact their State Reps and urge them take action against this legislation. Whose to say this will stop at Nandays? What's next? This needs to be stopped.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 AM
pal0m1n0
Super Moderator

State:

Number of Budgies: 6
Gallery: 60
pal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admiration

And yet, no one has tried to outlaw mice or rats, and they definitely are pests and will establish in the wild. I am not against them as pets, it is just that it would make more sense to ban them than to ban the conures.

I don't trust PETA either.

Seizing the birds that people already have would be extremely cruel.

Cutie Pie, Olive, Budgie, Baby Boy, Star, Pepper, Ariel, Oscar, Charlie, Little One, Chiclet.
Cutie Pie, Olive, Ariel, Little One and Chiclet are children of Budgie and Oscar.
Budgie and Star left us in 2009. Pepper and Oscar left us this year, 2010.

A good day is a day all your birds are happy and healthy.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
distract_a_girl
Egg
State:

Gallery: 14
distract_a_girl is on a distinguished road

After reading the article atvchick95 linked to, I doubt Peta is behind it either. Peta is the type of organization that would be for releasing the birds back into the wild. Not for euthanasing them Peta has come a long way. I used to be a member about 15 years ago. But they did some stupid things that drove me crazy. So, I stopped. Though one of their beliefs is that no animal should be owned by a person, they have come to accept that people have pets. They even have pet care sheets on their website. This proposed legislation most likely stems from someone who hates birds.

The problem is that if this goes through, whose to stop them from banning other birds?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Babyluv12
I LOVE my babies!!!

Number of Budgies: *8 b
Gallery: 142
Babyluv12 has a spectacular aura aboutBabyluv12 has a spectacular aura about

Well, atleast it's dropped for now.

Aly

Thanks Bea for the gorgeous sig!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
*YouGotBudgie*
Baby Budgie
State:

Number of Budgies: I ow
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
*YouGotBudgie* is on a distinguished road

It's good they dropped it but they will probably bring it up again...

--My two budgies Ive and TiKi--Loved by *YouGotBudgie* A.K.A. **TielHeart**

Getting a tiel around my birthday! WOOHOO!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 AM
BUUZBEE (Anna)
(retired budgie breeder)
State:

BUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic personBUUZBEE is a fantastic person

yes, it has been dropped as has the MO ban been killed.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
keet_tweet4 (Haley the great)
Banned
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 8
keet_tweet4 is a glorious beacon of lightkeet_tweet4 is a glorious beacon of lightkeet_tweet4 is a glorious beacon of lightkeet_tweet4 is a glorious beacon of lightkeet_tweet4 is a glorious beacon of lightkeet_tweet4 is a glorious beacon of light

They aren't banning them. yay! I wrote to them.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Conure_C...534&st=0&#last

Closed Thread