Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk

Notices

General Budgie Talk Chat about general budgie stuff here.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 08:57 PM
rohnds
Egg
State:

Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
rohnds is on a distinguished road
Default Introducing a new keet to the group

I have 2 blue female parakeets. As many of you know they have been fighting and thus I wanted to introduce an female to reduce the stress and hopefully the fighting.

Here is my 2 blue females,

Recently I bought a white male parakeet. I have him in smaller cage next to the bigger one. So far they seems to get along nicely .
Here is the male,

Any advice on how long to keep them separated, what to watch for, and when to introduce him to the females.

Would the 2 females fight to the death over the male. Would their aggression towards one another be reduced by the introduction of the male?

Rohn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
lilifield (Sigrid B.)
5 Little Stinkers
State:

lilifield is a name known to alllilifield is a name known to alllilifield is a name known to alllilifield is a name known to alllilifield is a name known to alllilifield is a name known to all

Very, very lovely birds. Our females peck at each other and one is meaner than the other but they have never drawn blood or injured one another.

God will look to every soul like it's first love because he is it's first love. C.S. Lewis

Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 AM
softie (Aaralyn)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Gallery: 261
softie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud ofsoftie has much to be proud of

Have you quarantined the new male budgie? If you haven't, it is best to start later than never. It would be best to keep the male in a different room than the females and let them have no contact for at least 30 days. Remember to wash hands before and after handling all budgies!

After the quarantine, I would suggest giving all three budgies an introductory. Let them play outside of the cage for a few days and watch how they interact. After a couple of days, if they do seem to get along well together, that's when you can house them together in a cage that's fit for the three of them.

Females will bicker with each other, but I'm not entirely sure if they were lessen that with a male around. If you find your females are still fighting, to a point where one is getting injured, it would be best to separate the females.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Brown9944 (Marc)
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Brown9944 will become famous soon enough

Females, in most cases, will bicker with each other more than the males. I think it's when you are breeding when females get aggressive.

My books website: http://bloodmagic-officialsite.webs.com/index.htm <--- Clicky please !

Old 09-22-2008, 07:22 AM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

it is best to have an even flock, 2 females will fight over a male

just like 2 males will fight over a female (mostly when they want to breed but it happens at other times as well)

Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 AM
ronsig (Sigrid)
Member of the Month
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 20
ronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond repute

Having more girls than boys can be problematic. It is best to have even numbers.
Would you consider getting another male?

Quarantine is necessary. Then let them spend time outside of their cages to get to know each other.

Sigrid

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
rohnds
Egg
State:

Number of Budgies: 4
rohnds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsig View Post
Having more girls than boys can be problematic. It is best to have even numbers.
Would you consider getting another male?

Quarantine is necessary. Then let them spend time outside of their cages to get to know each other.

Sigrid
I have the male in a separate cage next to the larger one. Both the female and the male seems to want to get to the other cage or the bird. I will observe them a a couple of weeks before adding him.

In the mean time I am already looking to rehome one of my female and get a pair.

Rohn

Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Pippin's mom (Julea)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Gallery: 27
Pippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud of

You new male is beautiful! It would be better to add two males to your flock after quarantine. The females may fight over one male and that would defeat your whole purpose for getting a male in the first place. I hear it can get pretty ugly especially when females go into breeding condition.

A note on quarantine..you need to have your new male not only in a separate cage , but also in a separate room from your existing flock..no contact for at least 30-45 days. You can click on the link in my signature to learn more about the importance of quarantining your birds.

Closed Thread