Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Your Budgie's Health > Diet and Nutrition

Notices

Diet and Nutrition Discuss issues related to diet and learn about encouraging your budgie to a variety of foods.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
looloopklopm (Mat)
Egg
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
looloopklopm is on a distinguished road
Question Budgie Won't Eat Veggies Or Fruit

Hi everyone. just wondering if it is ok if my male budgie who we have had for 3 years does not eat fruit or veggies. He eats a gourmet diet of white millet, oat groats, red millet, and wheat (there are some more too)... just curious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 PM
ozzie (Carly)
Sombody get the duct tape
State:

Gallery: 3
ozzie is a jewel in the roughozzie is a jewel in the roughozzie is a jewel in the roughozzie is a jewel in the rough

TADA! Instead of Typing the information I know I figured that a in-depth article was better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgieloveee View Post
I've decided to come up with a short list of different ways to give fruits and veggies to your budgies! But keep in mind that if one method doesn't work, don't stop altogether! Every budgie is different and has his or her own preferences. Some may be picky!

However, remember to never leave fruit or vegetables out for longer than a few hours. The food may start to wilt, and different flies can be attracted to the old food as well.

A list of safe fruits and vegetables for budgies can be found here:
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=5286

Ways to Serve Fruits and Veggies:
Hanging in Cage:
This method is quite popular because it is efficient, not too messy, and convenient! I take a thin slice of apple, a leaf or lettuce, or a carrot and wedge it in between the bars of my budgies' cage. They are then just able to nibble on it.
Tip: Put the piece of fruit/veggie in a place that is easily accessible by the bird. This may be near a food or water bowl or by a favorite perch.

A nice wedge of an apple:

Lettuce leaf:

I use binder clips or laundry clips to attach the food to the bars of the cage:
Binder clip:

Laundry clip:

Kabob:
Who knew that budgies could eat fruit kabobs? Take a strong wire and put some chunks of fruit, or vegetables, onto it! Then, when you're done, curl the ends of the wire into circles so the budgies can't hurt or poke themselves on the wire.

A typical fruit kabob may look like this:

Here's how you may want to bend the ends for safety purposes (look at the lower, left side of the wire):

Dish:
Many budgies prefer just a dish of chopped up fruits and vegetables. You can put them in a flat and shallow pie dish, or even on a plate! (Hopefully not your finest china ) The dish can then be placed in the bottom of a cage or out during your budgies' playtime.
Tip: If you have a dish in the bottom of your cage, be sure to remove it even after an hour or so. The budgies may poop in the dish and onto the food!

Here's what a typical "fruit salad" (human sized! ) may look like!

All budgies like different textures, so keep in mind these ways to prepare the foods:
-Chunks
-Shredded (carrots work well)
-Halved (grapes or round fruits)
-Boiled
-Steamed
*For boiling and steaming, make sure the food has cooled down before serving to your budgies *

I hope this helps everyone with their worries about feeding their budgie the healthy, essential nutrients they need to thrive

Variation of all foods are important, and keep on trying and introducing new fruits/veggies to your budgie to keep them as healthy as possible! Don't give up- even when you think that stubborn budgie won't budge!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
looloopklopm (Mat)
Egg
State:

looloopklopm is on a distinguished road

the problem with that is as soon as he sees it he flies away because he is scared of the new thing in his cage

Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 AM
paaaige(: (Paige)
Hatchling

Gallery: 15
paaaige(: is on a distinguished road

why dont you leave it in the cage for a while so he get used to it then it wont seem so scary

paige+ozzy x

R.I.P Oscar! /:

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
skythrutrees (Laura)
Senior Budgie

skythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud ofskythrutrees has much to be proud of

I had to give them veggies for months , and leave it inside the cage with their food, before they ate it. I know have a veggie salad that is standard for them...shredded carrots, dark green leafy veggie, and corn. They adore corn.

Often it is patience and persistence that makes the difference in getting them to eat the veggies. Budgies are stubborn critters!

Thank you for the awesome siggy Tia!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM
larrybird (kristen)
Hatchling
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
larrybird is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Have you tried broccoli or parsley? My store bought budgie who is afraid of everything new eats both of these with no problem. I bought one of those clip on cups similar to his food bowl and positioned it up high in the cage---after a few days he has no problem hopping over for some nibbles. He aslo eats the seeds off of strawberries. We are still working on fruits with him but those are the things I have had success with.

kriste

Old 04-13-2009, 11:27 PM
BubusMommy (Dia~)
Budgie
State:

Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
BubusMommy is a jewel in the roughBubusMommy is a jewel in the roughBubusMommy is a jewel in the roughBubusMommy is a jewel in the rough

after 2 years of trying on and off.... consistency everyday for a month has finally paid off! my budgies are over 2 years old and about 2 weeks ago was the first time i got them to eat any type of fruit or veggie....i first started with something sweet, nice ripe freshly washed strawberries chopped up into tiny budgie sized pieces....they went for that! so i then tried to trick them by replacing with with chopped up red bell peppers and they went for that....now he also eats a frozen veggie mix of brocolli, yellow squash, zuchinni, red bell pepper and carrots... so try the frozen mixes...wash them and keep them wet, and chop them up and mix them together and place mixture with their seeds... you can sprinkle seed on top or millets....and in order for him to eat it he will have to touch the veggies...... also.....if you just make sure to give him no more than 2 teaspoons of seed mix per day and maybe give the first teaspoon in the morning when he is so hungry and mix with veggies.... then later in the day another teaspoon mixed again..... eventually they will learn its safe.....obviously since he is 3 years old it will take a lot of effort on your part...meaning be consistent...everyday offer a mix.....if you dont want to keep buying tons of fresh veggies...just buy different bags of frozen kinds you can defrost in water and chop up...eventually he will pick out at least 1.... my male budgies fav now is broccolli, squash and red bell pepper... while my female likes brocolli and carrots.... so they are also picky and you will need to try different ways of presenting them so its not scary..... some put it on the bottom of the cage, some hang them sideways...some offer them raw or cooked, chopped, whole, wet, dry etc......i heard some peoples budgies fav are butternut squash, cooked yams, corn, rommaine red leaf lettuce, parsley etc... maybe try a sweet veggie..

good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
birdybuddy1 (Emily)
Member of the Month
State:

Gallery: 6
birdybuddy1 is just really nicebirdybuddy1 is just really nicebirdybuddy1 is just really nicebirdybuddy1 is just really nice

A diet of seeds is not enough for a budgie. Don't give up on the fruits and veggies! (Mostly veggies) You will waste a lot of veggies that you have to remove from the cage before they are ever eaten.

But eventually, the curiosity will get the better of your budgie. it is the same with my budgies - they are scared of anything they don't recognize, it's a basic survival instinct. this is why you just need to keep offering veggies.

Besides that, I would recommend hat you try to convert your budgie to a pellet diet instead of seeds. I'm sure you can find numerous threads about how to do so in the budgie diet section of "Your Budgie's Health." Try looking in the sticky section. if you can get your budgie to eat pellets and veggies, he will be sooooooooo much more healthy! it takes persistence, but you can do it! Many people think it will never work to convert (myself included), but eventually it does, and it is totally worth it!

edit: here is a thread that might help you if you try to convert to pellets. :

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthrea...251#post349251

also, check out this thread by Trixa:

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthrea...hlight=pellets

Last edited by birdybuddy1; 04-14-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Closed Thread