Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding

Notices

Budgie Breeding Learn about and share your own experiences related to breeding budgies.
Thread Description:6 eegs hatched - two died

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
nicky79
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
nicky79 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation URGENT!!! Parakeet eggs hatched and baby parakeet care

Hi,

I have six parakeets and one of them (Shiny) laid 6 eggs in a dark box. This is the first time one of our birds laid eggs. We saw that Shiny was spending her time in light bowl of the ceiling fan, when we removed it we saw two eggs. We immediately bought a dark box and place them inside. She cracked the eggs we touched, but eventually laid 6 eggs in 15 day duration, which hatched after 4 weeks gradually. there were 6 chick with 2 in each age group. The oldest are about 17 days old and just started to get feathers. The mid age just started opening their eyes. the last two eggs hatched 5 days back. The chicks would be in a heap the youngest at the bottom and the oldest at the top. The mother and father were really taking good carte of them feeding. Mother comes out frequently and father feeds her and some times the babies too.
All went well until an hour back. I usually check to see if the eggs hatched or if the babies are alive. I saw only four babies which are oldest. I moved the saw dust a little and found one chick dead (5 days old). When I searched more i found another body, hatched around 5 days back. I think this one died couple of days back and was deep inside the saw dust. I removed the bodies from the box

My concern now, are the other babies 10-17 days old, as the mother is spending all her time outside not going into the box at all. I do not know what to feed and how to and how frequently. I am not sure why the chicks died. Is it because we touched the older babies couple of days back? i am worried not for the older chicks. Should I be moving them to an open nest as i am assuming that the dark box was suffocating for 6 of them. Please help!

Last edited by nicky79; 06-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
pal0m1n0
Super Moderator

State:

Number of Budgies: 6
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 60
pal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admiration

Saw dust is a bad idea. It is possible the smaller babies were too small to be seen and fed. depending on how thick the sawdust was, could they have suffocated in it? Usually, the parent will remove a dead chick, so I am thinking it a good chance that is what happened.

Remove the sawdust. At this point, the chicks would not need it anyway. What are you using for a box? Can all the chicks get their legs under themselves?

Touching the chicks would not likely have killed them, at least it is extremely unlikely unless you had some toxin or weird bacteria on your hands. Washing your hands before and after handling would normally be sufficient.

Describe the location, how many birds, what kind of access each has to the chicks, what is the father doing, and can any of them feed themselves yet.

Do the chicks look healthy? Is there a hole in the box so the parents can get in and out?

Cutie Pie, Olive, Budgie, Baby Boy, Star, Pepper, Ariel, Oscar, Charlie, Little One, Chiclet.
Cutie Pie, Olive, Ariel, Little One and Chiclet are children of Budgie and Oscar.
Budgie and Star left us in 2009. Pepper and Oscar left us this year, 2010.

A good day is a day all your birds are happy and healthy.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
nicky79
Egg

Hi.. Thank you very much for the reply. I will correct myself. It is not saw dust, it is pine bedding that we used. Probably there is a chance they suffocated as they were always under the older chicks. The box is 6X6 with a hole (bought in store). The box is placed on the upper part of the cage, both the mother and father could go and in and feed the babies. i have 6 parakeets including the mother and the father. Though initially other birds were curious of the new chick chirping, they do not got inside the dark box. Father is constantly feeding the mother and once in a while goes into the box. I once was him feeding the chick, He is nice.

i did not understand what did you mean by "Can all the chicks get their legs under themselves?" the chicks look healthy two of them are developing feather. The third chick also opened is eyes. Fourth one is still around 10 days old. The chicks cannot feed them selves. They chirp a lot when the mother comes out. But recently she has been spending too much time out side, specially today. But the father keeps feeing here and she also tried to eat by herself. may be she is tired of being with babies. Mother did not remove the dead chick, they were buried deep under the bedding. I removed them as it might be poisonous to other chicks.

Should we be moving them to an open nest?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Budgiekin (Kim)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 237
Budgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Pal0m1n0 is concerned about the chicks developing splayed legs which can happen when a budgie does not or cannot keep their legs under their body. With splayed legs, the legs will actually point out sideways. It is usually caused either by the mother budgie nesting too tightly on her young, or from the nest box not having any or enough bedding in it.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
nicky79
Egg

As far as I know and observed them their legs are normal. They have good pine bedding.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
enicol6 (Ericka)
Member of the Month
State:

enicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to all

I am not a breeder but, I am betting they got lost in the shuffle and possibly trampled. Older chicks are quite excited at feeding time. Even though mom was not in there I would think the others would have kept them warm. Is daddy going in and feeding the babies? Is mom still going in at least to feed them? She may feel to cramped to stay in the box. I don't think the handling of the chicks is an issue. They eat less often the older they get as well so check the crops fairly frequently and watch the growth.

"The best things in life are not things."

Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM
nicky79
Egg

I saw the mother and father going in couple of times today but, the babies are chirping which i think are asking for food. mother is staying outside completely except for those couple of times. Can we move them to an open nest now?

Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
pal0m1n0
Super Moderator

State:

Number of Budgies: 6
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 60
pal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admiration

I am not familiar with the term open nest box in terms of budgie care. I think most leave them in the nest box until they fledge or the mother kicks them out. I did not use bedding myself.

Cutie Pie, Olive, Budgie, Baby Boy, Star, Pepper, Ariel, Oscar, Charlie, Little One, Chiclet.
Cutie Pie, Olive, Ariel, Little One and Chiclet are children of Budgie and Oscar.
Budgie and Star left us in 2009. Pepper and Oscar left us this year, 2010.

A good day is a day all your birds are happy and healthy.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Ialani
Egg
State:

Ialani is on a distinguished road

Not that I know anything at all about breeding, but from what I've heard, nest boxes are usually bigger (Correct me if I'm wrong). Mom could be feeling cramped in such a small box. That would explain why she hasn't been in the box much. Good Luck with them, I hope you can figure out what's wrong!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Heatherz2boyz (Heather)
Mother to 2 Monster Boys
State:

Heatherz2boyz will become famous soon enough

Do not move the babies to an open nest. The nest box that you bought was to small. If your going to move them get a bigger nest box first. The babies are going to chirp alot. Check their crops to make sure they are full, that means they are getting fed. The mother is not staying in the box because it is way to cramped. How many babies do you have? How old is the youngest one that is still alive? Handling the budgie babies is not normally an issue with this breed of bird.

Closed Thread