Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk

Notices

General Budgie Talk Chat about general budgie stuff here.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 AM
the Julles (Julles)
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
the Julles has a spectacular aurathe Julles has a spectacular aura
Default What's an acceptable temperature range for budgies?

What is a range of tolerable temperatures for parakeets?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 02:34 PM
aka.pody (Arlene)
Member of the Month

State:

Gallery: 2
aka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond reputeaka.pody has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julles. I admit I'm not sure about the range, but warm would seem best since they aren't in the wild. I would imagine they couldn't take it being cold.
Good question.

Calling all crafters. Join us. Talk Crafters

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
the Julles (Julles)
Budgie
State:

the Julles has a spectacular aurathe Julles has a spectacular aura

That's the thing. I've been told I have to bring them indoors "when it gets cold." But what does that mean? 50*? 70*? 60*?

Today in Houston it's chilly but not cold (60*'s) but tomorrow it's getting back into the 80*, and later in the week into the high 80*'s. So this back-and-forth temperature business puts another twist onto the question.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Robin's Nest (Robin)
Member of the Month
State:

Robin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admirationRobin's Nest is worthy of great admiration

The acceptable temperature range is also greatly affected, if not nearly entirely, by the bird's acclimation to it. My birds are indoors, and in the winter their room is between 60 and 63 degrees; in the summer it could get up to around 85 or even slightly higher very occasionally (once or twice a summer maybe).

In the summer, I keep a fan in the room that circulates the air but does not blow on them directly. Additionally, they are not kept in direct sunlight during the heat of the day.

In the winter the heat is produced by electric ceiling heaters and is ambient heat - not involving 'blowing air'. The important thing is that they have become accustomed, gradually to the lower temperatures during the winter.

To take a bird from 85 to 60 overnight, or instantly, could be a concern. The most important thing is that they are protected from the wind or breeze if outdoors in the chillier, lower temperatures. I know that my birds have been in temperatures in the low 50's. I wouldn't want to do that all the time, but a couple times due to electric outages, it has gone down lower than their usual 60.

If they were used to being in a well heated room in the winter, I would be a bit more concerned about them going from a heated room of 72 degrees to an unheated room of 55 degrees. Too much of a drop.

If we think of ourselves outside in the summer heat of Texas, for example, you feel warm in 80 degrees. But if suddenly you are in the shade, a storm comes through and the temperature drops 15-20 degrees, and there is a brisk wind, you are going to feel chilled. Partially because of the sudden, drastic change. That is where acclimation comes in.

So, for my birds, the answer to the question (in all circumstances but a power failure) is going to be 60 to 85 degrees. That is the lifestyle they have become acclimated to, a necessity in my situation since I do not have central air conditioning and the heating system is - well - not ideal.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
ssuzyk (Suzy)
Budgie
State:

ssuzyk is a jewel in the roughssuzyk is a jewel in the roughssuzyk is a jewel in the roughssuzyk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Julles View Post

Today in Houston it's chilly but not cold (60*'s) but tomorrow it's getting back into the 80*, and later in the week into the high 80*'s. So this back-and-forth temperature business puts another twist onto the question.
I was wondering about the same thing today. I keep my budgies inside, but last friday the temperature went from low 80s to low 60s in less than 20 minutes! (I left the house wearing flip flops and got to work 15 minutes later and was freeeezing!) My house has terrible insulation, so my room (where the budgies stay) usually feels similar to the outside temp. If it's so cold in my room that I have to sleep with a heating pad, should I also be concerned about Olive & Martini getting too cold?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 AM
gotmerles (Ray)
Baby Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 19
gotmerles will become famous soon enough

thanks! I needed this post and was wondering the same thing. My house tends to get chilly in the winter as I "try" to reduce energy....But I don't let it drop below 68 F and try to keep it around 72 F . The budgies seem to be fine so far.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Pippin's mom (Julea)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 27
Pippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud ofPippin's mom has much to be proud of

My rule of thumb is to go by how I'm feeling..most likely if I'm hot and uncomfortable so are my birds and if I'm cold so are they.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Solnishko
Egg
State:

Gallery: 1
Solnishko is on a distinguished road

that's a good question, when we got a bird the sales person said the highest temp should be 80F and the cage should not be near the AC, in summer we didn't have that problem, but didn't tell about the lowest. Now it's getting cold and some experts say the lowest temp for budgies can be 60F but only in case the bird is used to this low temp. for me 60F indoors is totally freezing, our heater while we're not at home was set up for 65 in winter, now we're going to set it to 67-69. Hope birds will feel ok this way.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:11 AM
LethalBudgie
Egg
State:

LethalBudgie is on a distinguished road

My uncle used to have outdoor budgies in Fresno,CA and their temps dip to 40-50s in the winter, but his birds handled it pretty well.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM
strathellen (John)
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Exhibitor
strathellen is on a distinguished road

I used to live on the highveld and in my outside aviary the temp went from 2c--( 28.4f ) in winter to 42c --( 107.6f ) in summer ,in 1994 i retired to the coast where its from 10c ( 50f ) in winter to 40c ( 104f ) in summer and i have not lost a bird due to the weather,,i have also seen them play in snow with no ill effects.at the moment i have 170 in my out side aviaries and 108 in my inside aviaries as i am retired ihave plenty of time for breeding my show birds and i am just going in to albinos..

Last edited by strathellen; 10-14-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Closed Thread