Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Useful mutation for breeding?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM
thepennywhistle (Skye)
Member of the Month
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
thepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
I believe it generally depends on the varieties of the progeny that you intend to get out of the breeding. It is a matter of mix and match of the dominant, recessive genes. Or you can create splits from the pair and do line breeding to find a progeny that express the genes for the variety that you are keen to have. Everyone has different likes, for example some likes the wild type green budgie or some likes the blue color mutation budgie. Just try working out the punnet squares to guess the variety and percentage chance of the progeny. If you like what you will get, than by all means, purchase that budgie. Believe the undermentioned post on punnet squares will be very useful to you.

https://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=60390

I find budgies genetics to be very fascinating. Been reading up quite a fair bit recently. To guess the percentage chances of the progeny's variety of my ideal breeding pair. Working it out on your own is tons more fun that relying on a program such as Budgen. Gives you a chance to learn more about what makes your budgie look like what he or she does.

Anyway, sounds like a really beautiful bird. Any photos?
Thanks very much for all the advice. I am having a wonderful time delving into
this new area, studying budgie genetics. No, no pictures, but I've only just
decided that I have to have that bird, so hopefully there will be some in the
future. I find that when the bird in your mind names itself, you are in big,
big trouble, and he's done just that.