Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Mutations?
Thread: Mutations?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 PM
CuteLittleBirdies (Lindsey)
Member of the Month March 2011
State:

Gallery: 0
CuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
Lindsey, it is confusing! lol. But, I'm sure if I was serious about breeding and sat down and actually studied genetics for a while it would make more sense.

They are both pretty but i really like the female. She's sweet, and likes it when I talk to her. The male is more feisty, and tried to bite when I toweled him to transfer him to the cage. Usually the males are supposed to be more mellow but it seems to be the other way around with these two. Can't wait until they get more comfortable around me. They're not tame but are used to people feeding them by hand in the aviary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
Here we go, a better picture of the boy! I've decided to name him Sprite, and the girl Truffle.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to tell splits in budgies visually, like there is with tiels?
Both sexes definitely can act the same A lot of behavior that is stated as being more for one sex or the other is often wrong

He is a grey green greywing

There are a few mutations that can show a split visually in some birds (although it is not always the case) such as a small pied spot on the back of the head, or lack of iris rings in a mature bird when they are split for recessive pied. Some males that are split for opaline will have more opalescence in their neck/shoulder area etc. Most mutations you have no indication of them carrying a split form though