Thread: Mutation check
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 AM
aluz
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mutation check

It turns out I'm somewhat confused on my oldest chick's colour mutation.
At first I thought it was an olive green normal, which was plausible since Mona is a cobalt blue and Carioca is a dark green.
As the chick started to get more colours I noticed the tail feathers are really dark, black coloured instead of the typical dark blue. The second chick is getting the same colours and dark tail feathers as well.

Here are some pictures I took today of the oldest chick who is currently 24 days old.

The tail feathers are really black, the darkest I have seen.

Does this mean the chick is grey green? And if so which parent has the grey gene? Both Mona and Carioca have normal colours and their tail feathers are dark blue.

This is Peppy, who is the chick's older sister, almost 1 year old.
She also has black on her tail feathers and I was told that was because she was a pied and her colour mutation was olive green. But now I'm not so sure.

A better look at her green shade of colour

Her tail feathers

Are Peppy and the chick grey green or not? You can see the parents (Mona and Carioca) on my signature picture. I can upload better pics of them if needed.
Thank you in advance.

RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.