Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Luigi?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 AM
aluz
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Helicopter Luigi?

For those who don't know, this is Mona and Carioca's son, Luigi. He turned 4 months old a few days ago, on April 27th.
He started to slowly moult a few weeks ago and has been doing great, but over a week ago I noticed something odd. His shoulder feathers on one side don't look quite right... These are new feathers he got from the moult and they seem to have grown in a strange looking clump.
I noticed this on April 24th and immediately checked to see if the feathers were damaged and to my surprise they were all intact despite their weird shape. I know for a fact he didn't have any night frights (never had one) and he didn't get stuck in a toy while playing.
I know there are Japanese helicopter budgies out there, but I can't comprehend how he would be one and really hope this is just one freak thing that will go away at least on his next moult, if not sooner. I like my budgies with smooth wing feathers.

Anyway, I took these pictures on the day I noticed the oddly placed feathers, on April 24th, 2014.

You can see in this pic, he has two tones of colour on his tummy area (due to moult)

I thought I would let a week pass to see if he kept the strange feathering and after two thorough baths he took, the normal amounts of daily preening, playing and flying around with flock brother Khaleesi, Luigi still has the strange feathers.
By the way, his flight hasn't been affected in any way, Luigi is one of my best flyers among the budgie flock.

These pictures I took yesterday, May 1st for comparison.

You can see the difference a week after, he has gotten a throat spot.

I'd like to know your opinions on this. There is no way Luigi is part helicopter, right? And if he is not, how did this happen?

Thank you in advance for any replies and I apologize for the very long post. Just wanted to give info that could be pertaining to the subject or could help shed some light.

RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.