Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Rest Peacefully Wild Bird
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 PM
mattytude (Matthew)
Baby Budgie

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
mattytude is just really nicemattytude is just really nicemattytude is just really nicemattytude is just really nicemattytude is just really nice
Default Rest Peacefully Wild Bird

Hey Talk Budgies-ers!

I wanted to share a sad but enlightening experience I had today.

I was getting in my car to go to the local pet shop to have a look at their cages (I'm getting addicted; sadly they had no new delivery).

I was getting ready to de-ice the car (as Mr Frost is in full swing here in Ireland) and there on the lawn was a poor bird frozen to death. I expect it was a sparrow. We have power lines run across the house and I think it may have been sitting on that - it's poor feet were frozen in standing position.

I got some gloves and lifted the bird to see if there was ANY sign of life that I may be able to gently warm it and revive it but sadly I was too late. I felt so terrible that there were no "bird family" to come and claim his body - so I turned the car off and took the time to provide him with an apt burial.

I couldn't help but think how lucky Belle and Olaf are with their extra treats and free-flight room but most of all heat.

At this FREEZING time of year it's still especially important to provide wild bird seed and fresh water in the garden. It's so much more difficult for birds to find food in this frost/snow so please please take a second to think of the birds OUTSIDE of our cages and give them some food; while it won't protect them from the terrible fate that befell my wild friend today; it'll certainly help them nip in and out of the nests alot quicker!

I know people love putting bird seed out at summer/spring to invite lovely birds into their summer garden - but we can provide this luxury all year round! So next time you're in grabbing your millet for your little ones - grab a bag of wild bird seed and feeder!

Anyway - this post is in memory of my wild friend today who is with all the other birds that are paid tribute to here in this section of the forum. May he fly high in unity with all our loved ones. xx