Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Grey wing no body color?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 12:09 AM
StarlingWings
Super Moderator // MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2015

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
StarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, what gorgeous budgies!
Now, I must say: what gorgeous Texas Clearbodies!
In fact, your Gris looks like a Texas Clearbody, a rare mutation where the body color is almost the same color as the face, but all the spots are the same intensity.
Because the Clearbody trait is a sex-linked trait, all the budgies who show the trait with only one parent must be female, because females only need 1 copy of the gene to show it, whereas males need two.
Since males have two x chromosomes, and females only have one (in birds), the females would be the only ones to show the trait.
UNLESS the father is split normal/clearbody, than all the chicks are female. Since the trait is recessive to normal, if one of the father's parents was a Texas Clearbody, then he is split for clearbody, and then any resulting male chicks would show the trait.
Sorry about the crash-course in genetics, hopefully it wasn't too confusing.
To restate:
Babies and mom are gorgeous Texas Clearbodies! If Kermit's father or mother looked like Gris or one of the babies (Texas Clearbodies) then you could have both males and females. If both his parents are normal, all the babies are hens
Oh, and I'll say that to me, it looks like one or both of the babies could be male!
Hope this helped

~StarlingWings~
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic