Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Here are, finally, in person, the pictures of Germany!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 PM
StarlingWings
Super Moderator // MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2015

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
StarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgon View Post
I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay!

Blue **** are super pretty, but out of all the various **** we have the ones I see least often.

Blackbirds get quite tame. A few nest in my parents' garden, and the cocks tend to follow my mother around when she's doing any gardening to pick worms right out of the soil she loosened. They'll collect food literally inches from where she's working. The hens are generally a bit shyer (they are a dull brown with a brown-ish beak, so easy to tell apart). Still, there's one pair that always nists in the rafters over my mother's terrace, right over where she likes to sit and read in summer. We suspect it's their way of staying somewhat safe from magpies (which are notorious for raiding blackbird nests). For obvious reasons, she's less than enchanted with having a bird nest right above her favorite spot .

In the great tit, the black neck ring is narrower and more evenly shaped in the hen, and the breastband also narrower and often interrupted or at least showing speckles of body color around the middle, which I think I can see in your photograph, but if you have others you might be able to see it better.

(Nuthatch cocks and hens mostly look the same but the males are a bit darker in color).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgon View Post
Oh pretty, pretty, pretty, Despina!
LOL, I just now noticed that apparently the forum does not like the plural of tit. Oh my.

Local wildlife and local birds are actually part of the elementary school curriculum here, and I've always found it quite exciting to be able to name and identify gender of the birds I see outside, so I never forgot. (Also, my grandpa is a bird person and can imitate many of their calls).
Aha, good to know! It's really cool you know so much about wild birds in your country, I know tons from here but they aren't very international, apparently
I did notice that! I guess the forums want to keep things "clean"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by despoinaki View Post
I see you know tit birds! I posted a thread a while ago with pictures of European birds, take a look
https://talkbudgies.com/other-birds/2...reece-no2.html
I remember that thread, Despina! Such gorgeous pictures

~StarlingWings~
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic