Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - My new back stepping stones
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 AM
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensGryf View Post
Yay Deborah!! Nice accomplishment !! It looks great too... How do you get them to go recessed into the ground a bit? It looks like they're not just laying on top of the dirt.

Not counting going to the gym, I always look at physical things (especially if they're no fun at all) as welcome 'extra' exercise!
I dug down into the ground two or three inches and then leveled is out as needed to fit the stone. After that, I laid the stone into the earth and used the soil I had removed to pack it in tightly filling any little crevices and all the areas around it securely to ensure they are "set".

When it rains and then the soil dries back out, it serves to "lock" the stone into place.

The area where the stepping stones have been placed (the incline between the pathway and the fence is NOT actually our property. It is considered part of the HOA "common grounds". We only own the area between our townhouse and the back fence which is shown in the picture.

You can see the grass I've tried to put in back there is still very patchy due to the white pine tree and the area is full of weeds. That ground is supposed to be maintained by the HOA but since they do nothing with it, I try to make it look a bit better and work to prevent erosion in the area as best I can.