Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Re-taming a 1 year old bird
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 PM
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute

Do they like millet?

In addition to two untamed budgies and the process I use with them described in the previous post, I also have two untamed lovebirds that are given out-of-cage time every day (in a separate room).

My method with them follows:

When out of cage time begins, their flight cage is rolled into my bathroom where they have a lovely playgym, a bar in the window with toys and a bar that stretches across the room containing toys for their entertainment.

I remove their food and water dishes from the cage and open the door for them to come out.

When I'm ready for them to go back in their cage, I take sprig of millet no longer than 3-4" and I stand next to their flight cage holding it on with my arm resting on top of their cage.

When they land on the top of the cage to sample it, I let them have a few bites while I praise them and tell them what good birdies they are. Then I move the millet down the side of the cage and hold it just inside the door. They have a perch located right inside their cage so when they move down and step onto the perch then I hold the millet so they can eat some, and gently close the door of the cage as far as possible with my hand still inside.

After that, I remove my hand and feed each of them a couple of the small millet balls through the cage bars, again praising them for being good birdies.

Then I move their cage back in my bedroom and give them fresh water and their food dishes.

Everybirdie is happy!