Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - She started molting... then nothing.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 AM
RavensGryf (Julie)
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
RavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond repute
Default She started molting... then nothing.

I think it was around a month ago that Mink started her first molt. Started.... but then it never really took off. I know that when my parrots were having their first, they just kept on molting profusely for however long it took to change about 90% of their feathers into adult color, which took several times longer to complete than a regular yearly molt. My budgies Twigs and his late partner would also molt profusely. That is what I had expected from Mink. She only molted 10% if even that, and seems to have stopped for a couple weeks now. Any ideas as to why?

The only other time I've ever seen this is in one of my birds who molts "a little" several times a year so that it's not that noticeable, but then he's an older bird. With Mink, I'm talking about a FIRST molt. Thanks for any insight!

EDIT: I just remembered... one of my birds did go on and off for his first molt which lasted a good part of a year. He'd molt for a month or two then stop for a couple or few weeks, then on again, and so forth. I wonder if this is what Mink will do? How do budgies normally do their first molt? I think Twigs and the other guy I had already had theirs when we got them.

Last edited by RavensGryf; 08-01-2015 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Add