Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - To fly or not to fly - that is the question
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 10:24 AM
tracytownsend27 (Tracy)
Hatchling
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 21
tracytownsend27 will become famous soon enoughtracytownsend27 will become famous soon enough
Default To fly or not to fly - that is the question

As most of you know, I just got a new boy, Dorian, and I have been working with him and Rio to try to tame them. Before Bleu died, I would give her flight time in my room 2 or 3 days a week. She was only half tamed, so I had to get creative on how I got her back into the cage. When I decided I had enough time to let her out, I would take away her food about 30 minutes before I would open her cage. After I let her out, she would spend a lot of time on my ceiling fan (turned off, of course) and flying from high furniture to the top of my drapes and back to the ceiling fan. When she seemed to be tired, I would start trying to get her back into the cage. I would use a long dowel perch (about 30 inches) to try to get her to step up. Sometimes she would step up onto it, and I could get her back into her cage. If that didn't work, then I would hang some millet right inside her open cage door. I had two perches outside the cage, and she would usually fly to a perch and climb back in. Sometimes this could take a while, but I wanted her to have some flight time each week to keep her healthy and happy.

Rio, on the other hand, has never been outside his cage. Even when Bleu was around, he wouldn't come out. If she was out, he would spend most of his time squaking and squeeling at her. I imagine he was yelling something like, "Are you crazy, woman? Get back in here!" Now that he is in his new flight cage, he probably won't want to come out, but I feel like he needs to stretch his wings, so to speak.

So, I guess my question is, should I try to get him to come out and fly, even though he's not hand tamed yet, and maybe never will be? Or should I just leave him alone and let him stay in his cage? I feel like if Rio comes out, then when Dorian joins him in the new cage, he will come out, too.