Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - What should I be feeding my birds?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Jo Ann (Jo Ann)
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award August 2016//MOTM May 2013

State:

Gallery: 0
Jo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond repute
Smile What

There are a lot of voices competing for our pet food dollars. It is our job to look behind the hype and do a little research. Here on TB we try to strive for nutritional balance, recognizing that seeds alone are not enough, nor just pellets but a variety of fresh veggies and some fruit , egg food mixed with some type of grain base and additives like vitamins , minerals probiotics, electrolytes, apple cider vinegar like Braggs Proteins take the longest to digest as they break down to carbs and fat to feed your budgies little heat generator. High quality fuel produces high quality nutrition. Check out the Stickys and threads under diet and nutrition, there is great info from Lindseys diet examples to ways to cut through the hype and feed the best basic seeds like canary and different types
of millets available in your area plus oat groats and flax during molts and breeding. Hold out 5 to10 percent for the fancy finch/high calorie oil/ simple sugar treats our budgies love.It is great fun to watch a budgie take a bath with a wet spinach or romaine leave on a semi flat saucer and nibble at the same time. Lots of vitamins and minerals available and fun as well. Budgies are stubborn about diet so we all do have trouble successfully exposing them to what is good for them. We like to shoot for variety and balance with a treat/reward now and then. We get mung beans to sprout, flax, anise seed, eucalyptus oil and other treats at our local health food store . Read the content on your seed package. Remember that unless the seed is preshelled, al lof those fancy additives fall away attached to the husk. Also check out the first aid area and start your own birdy first aid kit. Again there are great examples to follow In the Stickys. It is always better to have needed supplies and avian vet before trouble happens. I hope you enjoy all of the goodies and friends you will find here on TB. Blessings, Jo Ann
I suggest reading the diet and nutrition section and the come up with clarificatopn questions .Follow your avian vets guidance .

Thanks for the signature FaeryBee