Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Pro's and Con's of splitting budgies into sexes
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Therm
Member of the Month January 2016

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
Therm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pro's and Con's of splitting budgies into sexes

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there are pro's and con's to keeping male budgies in one cage and females in another.

Sage and Jay are doing well in there cage together, however, despite their preening and feeding, they don't seem to be exceptionally well bonded. But they get on well and they have no issues.

Sunny doesn't seem to be taken with either of her males. Skye and Jimmy get on well and they can all sit on the same perch together and sometimes they all ignore one another. They are not fighting, they are just three birds living in a cage together and occasionally, Jimmy and Skye will feed one another but there's no a special bond with them.

I was curious about whether males and females in a cage was a good idea or not. I know my boys get on well but two females to one cage, would that be a terrible idea?
I'm considering Sunny being the one to move out right now and leaving Jimmy and Skye in a cage together.

I'm not fretting over this. I'm just thinking about the future. If number 6 comes along, I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I've always considered I'd get another male if it happened and buddy him up with Skye, but I'm unsure if a male budgie would bond with a male when there are females in the same room.
So maybe it would be better to get 6 as another hen, to pair everyone up.

I'm just curious to some opinions from more experienced multi-owning budgies.