Old 11-01-2015, 02:00 PM
princeandbowie
Hatchling

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
princeandbowie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Tough Decisions

Hello all,

It seems that lately I have only used "Talk Budgies" to post on negative updates regarding Prince's self-mutilating condition. I apologize for that, but unfortunately this post is no different.

Prince has hit an ultimate low with his mutilating issue. Without his cone, it takes him about 2-3 weeks to re-open the wounds underneath his left wing. The newest struggle we are facing is that Prince is becoming less and less tolerant of the cone. What I mean by this is that he spends so much time fighting with it and spinning it around his neck that it ends up irritating the surrounding area to the point where I have to remove it. This means that I have no adequate way of preventing Prince from hurting himself.

Now, the real question. Is the quality of Prince's life truly acceptable? He is the equivalent of a depressed, mentally ill person. It is miraculous that infection hasn't claimed him yet, but I do not want to wait for that to happen. I waited too long to euthanize my previous budgie, Joey, and I want to be able to bring Prince peace instead of watching him suffer. I am just stuggling with deciding whether or not it is time to end his misery. He is only 3 years and 9 months old, but I have loved him immensely throughout his life. Is it ethical to make him carry on in this viscous, never-ending cycle?