Thread: Sudden Illness
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 02:02 PM
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhex View Post
One of my budgies seems really quiet this morning. She's not playing, she's just sitting on the perch, with her eyes closed and her wings apart as if she's hot. I put the cage outside for some fresh air and she's still like that only she started stretching her neck and spitting out seeds. Her friend is trying to get her to play and she moves for a bit and just goes back to sitting and closing her eyes.
I had two birds originally and one of them always seemed to get illness after illness and my other bird would be completely fine. I removed the sick bird and it died, after a while I got 3 new birds to add to the cage. I know your suppose to keep quarantined before you add them into the main cage, but could my other bird be carrying something and just shows no symptoms? Could my budgies be infected?
Please answer, I live on a tiny island where many vets are not that knowledgeable about birds. I would still take the bird to one but it's a public holiday.
Budgies often can be carrying an illness and show no symptoms which is why you should always quarantine any new bird coming into your home for a minimum of 45 days.

Quarantine means housing your new bird in a different cage in a different room as far away as possible from the room where your current bird(s) are housed.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

That said, as Robyn mentioned, your budgie may be stressed. Try some of the things she's suggested but if the bird does not improve substantially in a day or so then I would suggest you take her to the vet for a proper diagnosis.

Best wishes to your little one for a full and speedy recovery!