Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby budgie is afraid of me?

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RavensGryf 
#1 ·
Hello! I've had 4 budgies for almost 6months now, and one of them have birth to 2 babies (current age: 3.5weeks and another is 3 days younger)
So I've been taking the older little budgie out of the best and I used to spend 5-10mins everyday since it was 2weeks old in order to bond better, buy now it's just scared of me, whenever I get my hands close it runs backwards or goes away... keeps running away from me etc... did I do something wrong? :(
PS: their parents and all the other budgies in the cage are tamed (they step up etc)

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Without more information, it is impossible for us to know if you did something that startled the baby to make it more fearful. :dunno:

Taming and Bonding is all about trust.
Make sure you move slowly and calmly when approaching the budgie and talk quietly and reassuringly to it when you do so.

Do you currently have all of your budgies in one cage? :S

http://talkbudgies.com/budgie-breeding/327881-heartfelt-plea-forum-members-new-old.html

At this point, only the Father and the 2 babies should be in the cage with the nestbox.
The Mother and your other budgies should be in a separate cage with no nestbox.

http://talkbudgies.com/budgie-breeding/104591-aggression-toward-chicks-what-do.html

Please discourage further breeding

When We Don't Want Eggs

Is this the first time you've had budgies?
Are you certain the Mother and Father are not related?
How old are the Mother and Father?
Did you have them on a conditioning diet prior to allowing them to breed?

I'll be looking forward to your responses to my questions. :)

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
hello! thanks for the reply, and so far, the mother is not hurting the babies in any way... infact she's the one who feeds the two babies and I handle it for 5-10 minutes everyday and when they're in my hand sometimes the father comes and plucks it's feathers like he's hurting them :( plus, he never feeds them these days, he used to feed them when they were a week old and now (3.5weeks old) he never feeds them!
and the budgie's nest looks like this
So It's kind of difficult to take them out of the pot, maybe that's why they're afraid?
I'm really confused... other than that, I've done nothing that could scare them, no sudden movements etc...

#3 ·
Your baby is simply viewing you as less important than being fed
by mom/dad. Every bird is an individual and being so young could
be included in why this baby is not responding as you expected.
Once he's fully fledged and spending more time with people it's likely he'll begin to warm up. He's just more trusting of his bird friendsand less with people, for now. Give him more time.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
hmm, makes sense... but is there anything I can do to strengthen the bond? I see videos when the owner kisses and cuddles the budgies and they enjoy it! I want a bond like that:green pied:

I agree with what Phil wrote.
Only wanted to add that many unweaned birds (even handfed) go thru a "hiding" stage, when they are afraid of humans and at the sight of a human, run somewhere to hide. Maybe yours is going thru such a stage now.
I'd definitely not force close contact with your hand and you. Keep your hand at a distance which you know is acceptable by your baby budgie. Lots of patience.
hope so! any tips on how to increase the bond? I see all these videos where the owners kiss and cuddle their budgies and they love it too... I want such a bond :'(

#7 · (Edited)

The purpose of this forum is to promote the best practices for the health and well-being of budgies.

It's important you recognize and accept that not all budgies like to be kissed and cuddled.
Budgies are individuals, just like people and they have their own personalities.
Expecting a budgie to behave in a certain way is not realistic.

It takes time and patience to help a budgie learn to trust you.
Trying to rush it only makes the budgie frightened and less inclined to want to be with you.

Additionally, most budgies once they pass the "baby" stage, do not like to be petted or touched.
If your budgie does like to be petted, you should only ever pet his head, neck or chest area.
Stroking a budgie's back and/or tail stimulates its breeding instinct. Bonding means allowing them to choose to be with you.

You did not answer all the questions I asked.

Is this the first time you've had budgies?
Are you certain the Mother and Father are not related?
How old are the Mother and Father?
Did you have them on a conditioning diet prior to allowing them to breed?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
1) yes, this is the first time with budgies
2) I don't know about their relationship, when I bought them from the pet store they were in the same cage...(both of them are blue)
3)mother and father both of them are 6-7 months old
4)no, I did not have any special diet for them, I used to feed them millet seeds, coriander leaves and tomatoes

Also I understand that not all budgies like cuddling, I don't exactly want that... I just want to have a great bond with my budgies. :) And since people say that you can have such bond if you start handling them when they're young... :)

Hi Shashank,

I'm sorry to hear your little one is fearful of you. However, I completely agree with what has been stated.

I think you may be trying a bit to hard to gain trust. :eek: Even if birds are young, they aren't necessarily going to instantly bond with you. Chicks, like all other birds, do require positive interactions taken slowly, at their pace. Easier taming isn't necessarily guaranteed, it still takes work regardless of age, although it may take less time the younger the chicks are ;)

I hope with the advice given your pair and their chicks will do fine! :fingerx: I'll be checking back to see how things are going, too :D
Hello! Thanks for the reply :D and yes... what you say makes complete sense, I will keep this thread updated :)

Thanks for the reply :D
And when I was writing my previous thread I was handling them 5-10mins everyday... so I wanted to know if that was enough or I needed more bonding time etc :)
And yes all the budgies are caged together... I'll try my best to separate the kids and the parents into another cage... thank you :)

#9 ·
Aluz and Deb have offered you some great advice.

Please take the time to answer the questions that have been asked about your budgies. Without all the information, we can not help you fully, and that is why they are being asked. If you do not provide all the information, no one can give you a full answer to your problem.

When it comes to the baby budgie, in my personal opinion, I believe you are perhaps trying too hard with this baby and it's have a negative affect. From the post you made about wanting a bird to cuddle.... it's just *not* in the majority of budgies nature to be cuddly. I would back off from this little budgie for a while. It is telling you it is afraid and I think you need to let it have some space from you right now.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings I also agree with our knowledgeable friends on this.hopefully in time your budgie will bond with you.it takes time and a lot of patients.I too had to slowly work on my Gracie and so far its going good.I wish you and your budgie many happy years together.have faith and you can do it :).Blessings always :green pied: a budgie is like having a true blue friend.

#13 ·
#15 ·
You will need to find out the sex of your baby budgies so they do not breed as well. the original budgies you bought can quite possibly be related to each other as you got them both from the same place at the same time. They must not be encouraged to breed. Remove the pot once the babies are out of the pot. The father budgie could be wanting to mate once more this can cause him to become aggressive or even kill the babies. Please try your hardest to separate them as soon as possible, keep reading the informative links provided these will help you a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.