Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Question: Potty Train?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 PM
aluz
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute

Taking in account the frequency in which budgies will poop, it's not only infeasible, but also next to impossible to "train" them to poop on a designated area. Unless you confine a budgie on a specific place where he/she is "allowed" to poop on, still the budgie wouldn't associate this with the "bathroom" place and when investigating the rest of the room or flying, the budgie will still poop.

Larger species of pet birds can be taught to poop on a specific place but this potty training starts at a very young age.
I have never potty trained a budgie, but I have inadvertently potty trained one of my lovebird chicks. I was (and still am) very much in tune with my lovebird chick and when spending time with him, I got to instinctively know when he was about to poop and in order to avoid being pooped on, I would perch him on a cardboard shoe box. I was amazed to see that he associated the shoe box and his need to poop and before I knew it, he was pooping there.
Three years later and he still doesn't poop on me and goes to the designated areas when required.

RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.

Last edited by aluz; 05-17-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Fixing sentence