Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taming sundrop

962 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mgruber 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My new bird sundrop get scared at first, and sometimes put one foot on my finger before she will finally step up. How many training sessions can you do one on one so she and storm arent scared of my hand? She also been doing a nibble/ biting attempts when doing this process, is this normal? I believe she is a reccessive pied as she has more than yellow and olive green on her.

Mindy

#2 ·
Hi Mindy,

There is no set number of training sessions that would determine a budgie as fully tamed, because each bird is unique and the amount of time spent in working in terms of bonding/training will vary between birds.

I actually see this process as never ending, because even when the bird is tamed, we still need to continue the work by spending daily quality time with the pet bird in order to maintain the level of tameness and to keep the bond strong.

As to the nibbling and gentle biting/beaking, that's normal.
Your budgie is showing curiosity and is also testing to see if the hand poses a threat or not and by doing this your budgie will also see how you react.
Budgies and other pet birds can and will gently preen our hands/fingers as a sign of affection.

#6 ·
Yes, females have the same capability to talk as the males do ;) It depends on the individual bird's preference for mimicry as well as personality how much/well they talk :D

My girl is excellent at replicating certain noises, such as the microwave beeping and the dove cooing, but doesn't speak "human"--so it's all very subjective :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.