Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - What food means "love" to you?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Kate C
Member of the Month October 2008
State:

Gallery: 3
Kate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond repute

I have been racking my brain to try to remember one food that means love to me and I can't as I have many. My mother was a good cook and I started cooking when I was 5, had to wait until I was big enough to reach the stove with a stool.

Two of mine are soups and are still my favourites. They are Ox-tail Soup and Pea and Ham Soup. Neither one can really be eaten the day they are started cooking as they are better if cooled overnight and then eaten the next day.

With the ox-tail it is basically a clear minestrone style with cubed vegetables and the whole ox-tail pieces. After the initial cooking when cool in the morning you skim off any fat that has risen to the top and gone hard. Then heat it through slowly all day for dinner that night. When all the liquid is eaten and the meat off the bones you can then suck on the bones and get all the flavour from the marrow inside. Just lovely on a cold night.

Pea and ham is also a two day cook. I use a ham hock rather than bacon bones for my soup as did my mother. So much more meat on the hock. After simmering all day let it cool and remove the hock and remove the skin and any fat and cut up into nice chunks. Then with a stick blender puree all the vegetables and the split peas. Then put the ham chunks back into the puree and heat through slowly. Usually eat that with homemade croutons. Another soup that is all you need for a meal and really warming on a cold winter night.

Didn't make any this winter as I have not had time with packing up to move. But next year in my new home with my lovely new stove I will have lots of soup ready for eating. Will probably make up a big batch of them and then freeze them in individual servings to just defrost and reheat when needed.