Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Conflicting Advice, and Taming Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 AM
IAmStarby (Abby)
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
IAmStarby will become famous soon enough
Default Conflicting Advice, and Taming Questions

Like the title suggests, I've seen conflicting advice about budgie training and wanted more points of view. I'm in a sort of plateau with taming/bonding with my budgie Magnus. He'll step up for millet, and I can take him out of the cage as long as he's getting millet. As soon as it is gone, he's back in the cage. He will not stay with me outside of a treat. All he does all day is play with one swing. There is a play area for him outside of his cage, but he doesn't use it. I've seen differing advice on out of cage time. Some say to let them come out on their own time, others say to close the cage and force them to be out. I'm afraid if he won't bond with me and come out of the cage he'll get no exercise and not be very happy. Should I take him to an unfamiliar room? Should I close his cage and force him to explore? How do I get him to like me without millet?

Also, it is entirely possible that he was bonded with his previous owner. (He flew onto my mom's head while she was outside and nobody reported a missing bird, so I have no information.) Especially considering he came to me knowing how to say a phrase. Does that mean he won't bond with me? Thank you for any answers. I'm getting sad we aren't making progress, and at this point I feel like I'm overfeeding him millet since I'm so desperate to get him to play and be with me.

A little backstory, I have had him for a month and a half but he's proven to be extremely adaptable and not scared of people or hands at all. He's not scared or timid, the only time he's been scared is from a new perch (which he isn't afraid of anymore) and once when flying he hit a mirror. (he was fine, just scared. That mirror has since been covered). I just feel that he genuinely has no interest in me, or being outside the cage. Sorry for the info dump, I just need help! Especially your opinion and any first hand experience stories, because if you link me an article I've most likely already read it haha!