Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Initial pellet success...but then now my budgie is being picky... :/
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 02:03 PM
BlueBirdNYC
Member Spotlight Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
BlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to all
Default Initial pellet success...but then now my budgie is being picky... :/

My 5-6 month-old bird seemed to accept the ZuPreem Canary Sized Fruit Pellets in the past week. Meaning, he would eat them.

I'd been trying mixing the pellets with the seeds and also offering them only (& he would eat them when they were solely in the dish.)

Then yesterday, I tried the tactic where I take the seed dish out at night, introduce the Pellets in the morning... and then leave them there until mid-afternoon. Then, re-indroduce seeds in the evening.

This seemed to work. My bird fed on the Pellets in the morning yesterday, and throughout the day.

Today however... another story. He wouldn't touch the Pellets all morning. Would go to the dish and turn away. Did this a couple times.

Then, I gave him some kale around Noon which he normally likes... wouldn't touch it.

Just now (5 hours later since he woke up) ... I finally caved in and gave him 1 teaspoon of seeds. He ate about 3/4 of that. I left the remaining seeds on the bottom of the cage to forage. The Zupreem Fruit Pellets remain in his dish.

Is this typical? Should I just stay consistent with what I've been doing? [ Seeds at night. Remove them overnight. Pellets Only in the morning until mid- to late- afternoon. ]

I guess I can see how this goes, however I'm concerned he might get trained to only eat in the evening.

One more question: should I store pellets in the freezer?

Also, I read that Harrison's Pellets (which I have a sample of the Super Fine High Potency) advises not to top them off. That seems like it could get expensive. Lots of pellets would be thrown out.

Zupreem doesn't say anything about not topping off, but I've noticed if the pellets sit out a day or two... then they seem to lose their freshness (they don't smell like they do when they come out of the bag. i.e. they have a fruity scent.)

Thanks for your review & thoughts!