Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - My budgie seems to be eating bark? Is this dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
BlueBirdNYC
Member Spotlight Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
BlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to all
Default My budgie seems to be eating bark? Is this dangerous?

I have a mix of natural perches --- the multi-branch manzanita type, the "hardwood" straight type from petco (kind of red brown, no bark on it) ... and the natural fir branches from PetCo (also at PetSmart) that have more of a layer of bark on it.

I picked up one that seems to be a bit more flaky than than the other Fir tree perches (more textured bark, not smooth) ... and my bird seems to be eating the bark. I was watching to see if maybe he was just shredding or chewing it, but looks like he's eating it.

I took that branch out for now just to be safe. ... Is this an issue? He picks at the other fir branches as well, but not as much so I left those in the cage.

On the one hand I thought this might be ok, because budgies chew on wooden toys... but then on the other I was concerned because I thought his eating a bunch of tiny pieces of bark could cause impaction?

If this is safe, I'd just put the perch back, but if it's an issue maybe I could sand it or whittle off the bark...?

Thx....!

It's like this:
Petco All Natural 10" Fir Perch | Petco Store