Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - My budgie seems to be eating bark? Is this dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 06:11 PM
BlueBirdNYC
Member Spotlight Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
BlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to all
Default Video of budgie potentially eating bark

Hi ---

We visited this is another thread which is now closed. In that thread, I decided to put the fir perch with lots of "flakey bark" back in the cage.

Immediately Biz decided to go to town on it. I observed what he was doing, and wanted to get your thoughts. With some pieces it looks like he's just playing with the pieces and spitting them out, and with others I can't tell if he's eating them or not. Some pieces I didn't see fall out. Perhaps you see something different...?

I think I'm concerned because I'm trying to to convert him to pellets and I wonder if he's eating bark because he's hungry [ even though I'm also supplementing with seed, and he is eating his pellets... well, to a degree. ]

And, I'm having visions of ingesting splinters.

I realize his whittling of that branch (is he carving a statue?) is probably great for his beak. Yet, he doesn't eat bark on the other branches because they're not covered in the really flakey bark like this one. He chews on the others, but they don't seem as much like "lunch" as this one does.

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y467w0au3c...ranch.mp4?dl=0

Thanks....!