Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - My budgie seems to be eating bark? Is this dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 07:13 PM
BlueBirdNYC
Member Spotlight Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
BlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therm View Post
It's hard to tell if all the bits fall out because Biz probably picks such small pieces off, we can't really see them very clearly.
I don't *think* a budgie would eat bark but just be sure to make sure while Biz in transitioning he is getting enough seed and fresh veg so that he isn't hungry. Perhaps until you are happy with his pellet transition, you could remove that branch for a short while to ease your concerns.

Yeah... I have a tendency to worry about him a lot. I hate to take his fun away... but perhaps I will wait. Or, I've also considered whittling the bark off and sanding it a bit.

He has other branch perches he chews on and that's good, I just keep worrying about his insides filled with undigestible splintery bark flakes.

I give him fresh vegetables multiples times a day which he loves (yay), and millet for training, and 2 teaspoons of seed on the bottom of his cage. He's improving in that sometimes he'll eat the pellets instead of the seeds. But not always consistently, but that's probably the right direction.

Thanks!