Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Poppy lost a bunch of flight feathers
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 AM
lbeckman (Leah)
Baby Budgie

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
lbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admirationlbeckman is worthy of great admiration
Unhappy Poppy lost a bunch of flight feathers

Night before last, the entire flock had a bad night fright. It went from one cage to another and it took me ages to get them all calm. I'm sure that it was exacerbated by them almost all being in new cages over the last week, and grouped together more. It only took one bird in one cage to get freaked out again, spread it to the rest of that cage, then to the other cages. Several of the birds were a bit ruffled looking the next morning, but Poppy is the only one who seems to have lost a lot of feathers. Some of his flight feathers had been clipped, but it didn't seem to effect him much. However, he lost a bunch of flight feathers on one side during the night fright incident and he is now very lopsided. He is not a happy camper at the moment. I'm trying to keep an eye on him and notice when he looks like he wants to go somewhere--such as fly to me--and give him an assist.

I'm not going to even up his wings, because I think he would do the "drop like a rock" thing then. I'll work on getting his and Simon's cage set up better for him (it's a double flight cage) and include egg food with his vegetables. (I don't usually feed much egg food because while I pretty much always have at least one bird molting, I also am very concerned about them going into breeding condition. They usually eat their vegetables as a flock, but I can put some egg in Simon and Poppy's cage.)

Last edited by FaeryBee; 01-08-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Corrected word from exasperated to exacerbated and corrected typos