Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Is there a way to tell if a solo budgie won't be good with a mate
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 AM
BlueBirdNYC
Member Spotlight Award Recipient
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
BlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to allBlueBirdNYC is a name known to all
Default Is there a way to tell if a solo budgie won't be good with a mate

I'm not planning on this anytime soon. . . but in the back of my mind, sometimes, is the idea of getting another male budgie as a friend for Biz.

He's fine for now --- I have plenty of time of for him and he seems happy. He does however seem very curious if I watch a budgie video -- and all of the mirrors have to be covered in my home because if not, he'll spend too much time with them.

I know all the reasons why I would not get a second budgie right now, and I won't bore you with those details.. I know I would have to be very ready. And ready if Biz and the new one wouldn't get along after the quarantine.

My question is along these lines... Biz is a very sweet, laid back bird, but he can be bossy at times if he's not getting his way. He will still bite me to let me know he doesn't want to do what I'm asking. (Which is fine, it doesn't hurt. He's protesting. It doesn't happen often. Mostly it's not wanting to stop what he's doing.) Sometimes he plays with toys aggressively. Not often but he'll get worked up and attack plastic beads, etc. He tears into yucca chips with abandon, and loves to chew palm leaves. He can be territorial with food. If he has dish of seed and he thinks my hand is getting too close he does the budgie "growl"... the angry dolphin noise... to warm me that he is lording over his food and I better not try to get any. [ Obviously, I'd need two of everything if there were a second bird. ]

He's mostly sweet and social, but I'm wondering if some of the more aggressive sides of his personality are indicators he might be mean to another male budgie.

I've observed a sweet & passive male budgie at the pet store and was thinking if I were to get another male, I would look for a mild mannered one like that. ...I've seen some males that seem to like to bug everyone else in the cage.... and it seems as if a personality that like could be annoying to Biz.

Again, not going to do this any time soon (I've had Biz about 5 months) but I'm looking around the corner & educating myself if I were ever to go this route.

Thx.... !