Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Couple started mating
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Therm
Member of the Month January 2016
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
Therm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond repute

Considering your previous posts about the males fighting, I'm uncertain why they are still all housed together.
I thought the idea of getting the second cage was to split the males up?

The problem your situation creates is that I'm not confident to advise you to split the birds up with males in one cage and females in the other as the males have a history of violence.
The fact the hens have come into breeding condition and most likely the males are reaching sexual maturity too is why they are acting this way.

As your males are currently together anyway, I believe splitting them up and keeping males in one cage and females in the other is best for now.

Observe them carefully as history suggests your males are prone to aggression. As you haven't already split them up, hopefully, this is due to them calming down- you didn't update us on that situation when it's vital to know for your new issue.

If they even start to act slightly aggressively, you will need to split them up, same goes for your hens as well.

May I also ask, did you get the birds all at the same time?
If you got them from the same pet shop and they were all about the same age there's a strong chance they may be siblings and in that case, breeding would be even more ill-advised. I know you stated you *don't* want to breed, but also a reluctance to throw away the eggs seems to suggest if they laid eggs, you'd allow them to raise the chicks.