Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wing feathers won't moult...

709 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RavensGryf 
#1 ·
I got Kowhai in march from a wonderful breeder (there was no rescue in my area, but it was a great breeder I found who didn't do it for profit) and the breeder was excellent and took great care of Kowhai before he came to my home. However, they clipped is wings before he came home and my goodness cut them wrong. :upset:

Kowhai can't fly and has still not learned, and tried to jump off my finger when I was putting him in his cage one night and hit the floor and cut his tummy and bled pretty badly.

I immediately took him to the avian vet (and he's been several times for follow ups), and sadly his chest is just too tender from the first injury and will always have a scar and be an issue.

Because Kowhai never learned to fly, I think his instinct is still strongly telling him "Hey, falling is normal, keep jumping!" so he does, so now the vet's "grounded" him to a travel cage to keep him from jumping from my finger and also to the bottom of his regular mansion (his home cage). She want's him to stay there till his wing feathers moult and he can properly learn to fly in a safe/soft environment. I let him out as much as possible in a safe area where he can't do his jumping and hurt himself.

So, after all this he has finally begun his first moult! And he's losing feathers like no birdies business. All of them, except his darn wing feathers!

So, will they just be moulting one at a time? Will they moult later this year? I hate Kowhai being stuck in the travel cage and not being able to fly and causing harm to himself. :( I've attached some pictures of his current wing status (sorry for the poor quality). He has one feather from each side in, but the rest are still in firm!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Poor sweet boy! I agree, his wings are too short. He will eventually moult them out, but wing feathers are lost one or two at a time over a period of several moults, so it won't be for another few months that his wings grow back :upset:

In the meantime, as he heals, it's good to keep him in a travel cage. However, once his injury is fully healed, even if his wings aren't all back in yet, you should put him back in his "mansion". He'll learn to climb around his cage using his beak and feet and be able to still get exercise despite not being able to fly. :thumbsup:

I hope he feels better soon! :fingerx:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.