Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New weird behavior

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tlaseseyan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! My female budgie, Melody, has started to exhibit a strange behavior. I've had her for about 3 months and she started eating pellets about 2 months ago. Same as my male budgie. They both also eat seeds and I have been following the recommended diet info. Anyway, about 3 or 4 days ago Melody will go to the pellet dish and pick up pellets in her mouth and spit them out without trying to eat them. She just picks up pellets and spits them right back out onto the cage floor. I have no idea why she is doing that. At first I thought the dish was too small so I bought a bigger stainlesd steel dish and she keeps doing the same. I have no idea what is going on.

#2 ·
Could she be emptying the dish to make a nest?
Have you recently had other things (seed/millet) mixed in with the pellets, that she could be searching for?

If not, maybe she’s just created a new (albeit annoying) game - in which case, I would look into foraging ideas as she may really enjoy working to find her food.
There are many foraging ideas around so have a search - just keep in mind to start off very simple, that all parts need to be bird safe, that a budgie’s beak isn’t very strong and that many of the reusable foraging toys are designed for much larger birds.

#3 ·
My girl does this from time to time too. At first I was worried she was looking for somewhere to nest, but this is just a game she likes to play. She likes getting a beak full of pellets, then either spits them onto the cage floor, or carefully drops them onto the top of the no spill/contained seed container that is beside the pellet container. Maybe Melody enjoys the same game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I bought a spongy wood material that are round in shape and hang on a rope. I believe its called a Kabob, and I put oat spray oat seeds into it for my budgies to forage for, but so far Melody has been the only one I've seen that eats them. Yesterday she completely shredded one of the round pieces and partially shredded the top half of the one beneath it. There is millet inside the cage, but I've never mixed millet with seeds or pellets, or mixed seeds with pellets. Could she be wanting to forage more? Build a nest? Lay eggs?! They also have 3 toys with rope for them made with wood to play with. I had bought one and they went crazy for it and really enjoyed it, but so far have left the new toys untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.