Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - "cardboard/box mites" Advice? Dangerous for budgies?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 AM
philw (Phil)
Young Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
philw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these pointsphilw deserves every one of these points

Here's my take on this creature. I taught biology for over 34 years and have been a "bug" person my whole life....actually anything zoologically speaking. The "bug" your seeing is likely not an insect but a type of mite (American dust mite), that feeds, not on birds, or people, but mostly the dead skin of mammals (including us) and bird dander, which we call "dust". Much of the dust in your home is composed of our, and our pet's dead skin cells.The these mites usually can be found on most household surfaces, but is large amounts of dust collects on
smooth surfaces like cardboard they may collect in large numbers. In our carpet the feed on our dander and when they poop, the dried poop gets stirred up as we walk or play on these surfaces causing allergies in many. They aren't like the parasitic mites which feed on the blood of birds, which is a health problem. Scaley face/beak disease is also caused by a mite. There are 1000's of species of mite, some harmful others not.
Dust mites are typically about the size of a sand grain but they are definitely visible, rather transparent, and you could certainly feel them if they got on you but aside from allergies
they're not really dangerous. If you Google images for "dust mites" you can see what they look like. I'd just keep your budgies in clean cages and you won't see them again. The ASTMH article in the resources is not a mite (mites have 8 legs)!