Old 09-26-2018, 06:27 PM
niteowl
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
niteowl is on a distinguished road
Default In Memory of My Little Kiwi

My Little Kiwi

I would like to share a few memories about Kiwi and a bit about her last days with us. I needed some time, since this has really been hard on me.

Kiwi was strong. Sick since mid August, Kiwi fought to be with us for an entire month. It was really hard to watch such deterioration in such a beautiful bird with so much life. I tried so hard to save Kiwi and Kiwi tried so hard to be with us. However, on September 16th I had to make a decision, to take Kiwi to the animal hospital and allow Kiwi to finally rest. That morning, her condition drastically took a turn for the worst. Even though it was getting bad, I had this little hope Kiwi would pull through. That maybe, everything would be okay. But that came to an end that morning. I won't go into details since its something I would't wish upon any one to have to witness, but will say, she was suffering. I never thought I would have to make that decision. We comforted her as much as we could, played her favorite songs, and showed her pictures of Birdie since there was no chance of them saying goodbye to each other, and told her how much she was loved. We also planted a perennial in the garden that only blooms one flower in fall in her memory.

Some of My Favorite Memories
We got Kiwi when she was very young (before she lost her baby bars). From day 1, Kiwi had so much energy, was so curious about everything and had such a playful nature about her. She loved carrots, loved shredding toys and swings, loved showers, and loved to sing and squawk.

Olympic Rings
Her favorite toy was the Olympic rings. At first, she would slam them against the cage wall. Then one day, she discovered she could climb them and go through the hoops. After that, she would 'have' to go through the hoops to get to perch. Every time.

Breakfast Time
First thing in the morning when I would prepare there food, Kiwi would tell me to hurry up with the food by jumping on the cage door and chirping. So much personality.

Kiwi's Song
She loved country music. And so every night, I would play Paul Brandts "i do" song and sing it to her, and replace "baby" with "Kiwi" .

Kiwi's Best Friend
She also brought out the best in Birdie. After 30 days of quarantine, and a few weeks of slow introductions, they became instant best friends. I even recorded the first time they met each other outside the cage. From that day on, they did EVERYTHING together. Birdie began to eat pellets and carrots, started to play with toys, all firsts for Birdie after months of trying. And with Kiwi's encouragement, they started to explore the world beyond the cage. Kiwi also taught Birdie how to flip cups and squawk.

My Little Kiwi

Kiwi, I promise to be your best friend
And, I'll be here until the end
Can I be sure I have been waiting for you
Did I say, my love is true
Kiwi,
I will
I am
I have
I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180926_160934_0001.jpg (68.2 KB, 23 views)