Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - poor little sick bird
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 05:30 AM
Opie

Gallery: 0
Opie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoukieBear View Post
I agree that it does sound like he's trying to cool off. Try reducing the temperature of the heating pad and see if that helps.
heating pad is at the lowest setting, but I moved it half way out as suggested by others. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I agree he is too hot if he is holding his wings away from his body.
When a bird is sick they will often times spend much of their energy trying to stay warm, that is why you will sometimes see a sick bird puff up, they are trying to retain body heat but too hot is not good either. You say he is in an aquarium type room, do you mean he is in something that is closed on 4 sides, where is the ventilation on the top? Does the heating pad cover the entire bottom, if so you may want to try moving it so it only covers half, that way the bird can move off of the heated part if he feels too warm.
Thank you! I'll move the heating pad right away. Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I agree he is too hot if he is holding his wings away from his body.
When a bird is sick they will often times spend much of their energy trying to stay warm, that is why you will sometimes see a sick bird puff up, they are trying to retain body heat but too hot is not good either. You say he is in an aquarium type room, do you mean he is in something that is closed on 4 sides, where is the ventilation on the top? Does the heating pad cover the entire bottom, if so you may want to try moving it so it only covers half, that way the bird can move off of the heated part if he feels too warm.
I have a screen over the top, but between the heating pad, keeping the room at 85 I thought he might be too hot. I moved the heating pad to half the aquarium. Hope it helps.

Last edited by RavensGryf; 01-28-2019 at 01:51 PM.