Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - I've been having a couple problems with bonding
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Vella (Monica)
Egg
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Gallery: 0
Vella is on a distinguished road
Default I've been having a couple problems with bonding

I've had my budgies for a month now and I've been talking to them every day and recently spending a good amount of time reading to them. For the past week, I've been trying to earn their trust by sticking my hand in the cage and leaving it there and with food but Skittles will jump from corner to corner to get away and then hide under her food bowl, and Kiwi will check it out but ultimately wants nothing to do with me. I'm not sure if I'm going to fast with this or if they'll just take longer to get used to me. I know it does take a while but I feel bad that they stay in a cage all day and I want to let them out to fly around and get some exercise but at this point, I wouldn't be able to get them back in the cage. My uncle says to just let them out and they'll return for food but I really don't think that's a good idea. It's not entirely related to the topic of bonding, but I've also not been able to get them to eat anything but seeds. I've tried offering fruit as a treat but again they don't want to touch it, I can't even get them to eat it out of their bowl.
So right not I'm just at a loss because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, most of what I've read says pretty similar things. To give them a week to warm up to their surroundings, talk to them frequently and spend time around them, and to offer food.