Egg

Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 1
vikic is on a distinguished road
Default My budgie is very depressed

Hi, I don't know what to do.
The back story:

Last month we moved out of our house of 27 years, the budgies seemed to take this well after a few days of adjusting.

My mum died 3 weeks ago whom my budgies loved very much they were all together in the same room for years.

I don't know how they knew she had died but they did because they both stopped singing and they both became more clingy towards me, I was walking around with them all the time and I am/was sitting with them with every minute I have to spare.

A week later my budgie Winston who was my surviving budgies partner also died, I don't think he was ill because he had a check up by an exotics vet not long before he passed (healthy.) I just woke up that day and found him on the bottom of the cage.

Now my remaining budgie Charlie is soooo depressed I bought 2 new budgies to try and cheer him up but he doesn't want anything to do with them, infact I think it has made him worse, they keep trying to be friendly but he just sits there, he won't even look at them, he keeps burrowing under my chin and refuses to move. I have scratches on my neck and chest where he has clinged on, he is barely eating and he is unresponsive to touch, I have tried millet, his favourite seed, egg food, fresh vegatables and even a plain crisp out of desperation but he won't eat anything and he has lost weight.

His vet agrees with me that he is depressed and I have just been told to spend as much time with him as possible but he doesn't seem hopeful that he will pull through just because of his age and the fact he has lost everyone but me in the space of 3 weeks, I just know he is giving up

I am giving him Gaurdian Angel in his water and Trill because it his is favourite seed. I let him eat out of my hand today and he ate 2/3 seeds. I have kept the new birds in the same room but in a cage of their own.

Please any suggestions would be great, I can't face to loose anyone anything else right now

Edit to add: before I got the other budgies, he was running back and forth taking seed out of his pot and taking it to the mirror, he didn't eat or regurgitate, he just picked the seeds up and dropped them, this is where his friend always used to sleep

Last edited by vikic; 04-20-2019 at 03:46 PM.