Noxiousted (Ted)
Hatchling

Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
Noxiousted is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
It is always a good idea to take a new bird to the vet for a well bird exam and given the fact that you said this bird was in with sick birds I would do that before you introduce him to Mercedes. Excessive preening can be a sign of stress and given the fact that he is in a new place and not 100% comfortable you can be sure that it is a stressful situation for him. It is usually not advisable to let a new bird out until they are acclimated to their new surroundings. You might try giving him a piece of spray millet in the cage and see if he will eat that, you don't want to establish a habit of eating only outside the cage. Do you have a gram scale, if so weigh him and keep a record for a time to make sure he is not losing weight.
I'm not really worried about him eating outside of the cage. I don't mind feeding him and giving him water. Once he gets out of quarantine he will be in the big cage with Mercedes. I don't think he will have a problem eating and drinking in there. Since Mercedes will probably teach him. I'm going to buy a gram scale in the next week to weigh both of them. I know Mercedes is a good weight since he has no problem eating or drinking. With the 3 birds I have gotten from the pet store I've noticed they all come lethargic and skinny. They leave food and millet in the displays at the store but only the biggest can get food and the smallest get pushed to the side. I've compared pictures of Mercedes when I first got him till now and I can definitely tell he has gotten a lot bigger. Fingers crossed he isn't sick so I can get Mercedes the friend he has been wanting.