Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need some advice please

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Cody 
#1 ·
My female budgie piku is vomiting. This was from many months. First she vomited undigested whole seeds with a sticky clear fluid. It then stopped after some days while her poop was unusually dark green. she then became normal.

She vomited again a few months ago. The same thing with fluffed up feathers. I checked it with the vet and he said that it was due to overeating .She was fine.

Today again she is vomiting whole seeds. Fluffed up. Her style of eating is to pick up seeds and eat them but when she vomits or is going to vomit, she only nibbles seeds and eats only a seed from it.she does not sing and poops by shaking its vent. less active . feet are cold.

I am very worried about her health and dont want to lose her. I want to know the causes and how to care for it.

#3 ·
Sorry your bird is ill, everything you have described are indications of an ill bird, being fluffed up is not due to overeating, it is an indication the bird is not well and the vomiting an indication of a possible infection. Is your vet an avian vet? At the very least a test on the droppings and a crop swab is advisable to determine if there is some type of infection going on.

#4 ·
Yes my vet is a avian vet. I also did not agree to it but i had to as the vet said .I want to know the exact causes so that i can treat her if there is an infection .I had read on the internet that this kind of symptoms( some of them) are shown by the yeast infection .

#5 ·
Hi! :welcome: to Talk Budgies

We are unable to diagnose your budgie's illness through a forum.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

I would advise you to find an Avian or Exotic Pet Vet near you to work with to find the proper diagnosis and treatment plan for your little budgie. It sounds as if she may have AGY.

Avian Gastric Yeast

Macrorhabdus - Avian Gastric Yeast

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Please do not use Emojis from Phones - use Forum Smilies Only
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape. Additionally, the picture appears as what we term a "thumbnail" attachment.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site
You can practice uploading pictures in the site's "Test Forum:
Test Forum

By the way, all photos entered in any of our forum contests must be a full-size photo and not a thumbnail attachment so it's good to know how to upload them! ;)

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

#7 ·
I would not put garlic in the water if the bird has internal parasites the vet would be able to determine that and give you the correct medication. If there is a active Avian Gastric Yeast infection, that will not go away on its own and can be fatal so it is critical that the bird be assessed by the vet and tested for that, however not all infected birds will shed the organism in the droppings so sometimes the vet may have to rule out other things and make the diagnosis based on the symptoms. Amphoteracin B is commonly used for active AGY infections.

#8 ·
Thank you cody! I thought that i should be updating you about her health. she is now eating and drinking in usual manner and has stopped vomiting. Her poop is also gradually turning to normal. started chirping well and is a bit more active
and the fluffiness will also go after a few days i believe:)

#9 ·
update

I have an vet appointment after two days.
I have listed all the points and when i checked her poop, it was brown as usual but it had some black tinges . so i checked the back tinge and found some hard particles which were black in colour.
photo is included.The stone like structures are much much smaller than the photo which is enlarged.:(

Attachments

#10 ·
It's good that you will be taking the bird to the vet. Some bird seed mixtures contain a small black seed which is rape ( canola) seed, if what you are feeding contains this seed then it may be that the bird is not digesting them and they are being passed through as the whole seed. Make sure you let the vet know about this and inquire about the possibility of an Avian Gastric Yeast infection or other digestive disorders. Please keep us updated after the vet appointment.

#11 ·
I also agree that garlic is NOT appropriate to give to budgies for any reason. It sounds like a good idea to mention to your vet to look for Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY), or possibly other diseases which can affect digestion. At least an infection of some sort, as these symptoms aren’t normal. If your avian vet’s answers don’t seem to be satisfying you, then I’d look for another one. Unfortunately not all avian vets are good ones. Looking forward to an update after the vet re-check.

#14 ·
Yesterday I had a vet check and he said that she is all fine . The vomiting is due to overeating only. I also had her nails trimmed. she was bleeding a bit when her toe nail was cut inside. she was fine but now today is fluffed up and feet is warm . when she perched on my finger her weight was bit less.:(

#15 ·
Is she continuing to vomit? Was it an avian vet that saw her? It is not normal for a budgie to be fluffed up during waking hours, is she active and eating and drinking? A budgie's weight is recorded in grams, a very small amount, and really would not be noticeable just sitting on your finger do you have a gram scale that you could weigh her on every day? Did the vet do any tests, without testing anything, it is not possible to know that there is not any bacteria or fungal problems in the system. If she was not exhibiting symptoms of illness it would not be an issue but because of the vomiting and being fluffed up it should be looked into.

#19 ·
hi!
Today i had a vet checkup again as she had started vomiting again and was sometimes sitting down on the floor planking . The vet said that she has some digestive problems and needs to be checked.He gave a kind of tonic for twice a day. He said the she needs to be brought for checkup again after two days.He also restricted he veggies for fifteen days. I feed her the green millet spray picked up directly from the plant and he tells that she is not able to digest that.sometimes the pollens or the seeds are not good.

#20 ·
Is the vet an Avian Vet or a regular vet?

What specific medication has the vet recommended?

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Forgot to give you important update.The vet had given a tonic that helped piku a lot. Her digestive issues are recovered now. She is very active and playing a lot.Today I had left her to play outside and flew happily till the ceiling .Earlier she was not able to fly till one foot also...I feel that this is due to the medicine that he gave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.