Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - cage-bound parakeets
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 11:09 PM
HappiBudgie (Marie)
Baby Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
HappiBudgie will become famous soon enoughHappiBudgie will become famous soon enough
Default cage-bound parakeets

Hi everyone,
I've had my 2 budgies for over two years now and they have never come out of the cage without freaking out. I have a large flight cage for them with many toys, they have very good diets, and they are healthy and happy.
One of my parakeets, Cosmo, will step up onto my finger most of the time. My other parakeet, Lulu, will step up with the incentive of food.
Cosmo and Lulu will exit the cage if they remain very close to it or on top of it, and have millet.
How can I encourage them to come out of the cage and enjoy it? I have tried putting perches outside, putting their favorite toys outside, but the only way is to keep feeding them millet which is not healthy or sustainable.
I don't think they are scared of me, because Cosmo lets me pet her when she's inside the cage and she lets me kiss her tummy. Lulu doesn't feel comfortable with that but I know she isn't scared of me.
Is there any other way to help them get out of the cage? I just feel like despite the large flight cage, they should be out of the cage sometimes too.
Thanks <3