Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - Cold or Comfy?
Thread: Cold or Comfy?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 PM
Goldenwing
Young Budgie

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
Goldenwing will become famous soon enoughGoldenwing will become famous soon enough
Default Cold or Comfy?

Ever since I got Peridot a week ago, I have worried about him being cold. He often puffs himself up when sitting on a perch, especially when napping. A few times I have found him puffed up and shivering.

I started doing several things to keep Per warm, including keeping the house thermostat higher. I am also using a space heater that has a thermostat and can go off and on to keep the corner of the room with his cage in it warmer than the rest of the house. This seems to have eliminated the shivering. My last bird seemed to be quite hardy and do just fine, even with the heat in the house kept at 62 degrees Fahrenheit (it is usually 2-4 degrees warmer where the cage sits). I live in a cold region of the US and spend hundreds of dollars a month on heat, which is why I am so careful about the temp that the furnace is set at. Now I am keeping the house at about 65/66 degrees Fahrenheit, using a space heater by my bird's cage and keeping the cage partially covered most of the time.

Should I be worried about Per being cold? Is his being puffed up a sign of illness or just a comfy way to nap? He exhibits no other signs of illness and is perched at the top of the cage. He is not all fluffed up when eating and moving around the cage.

Thanks for the benefit of any experience and advice people can offer!