Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - I can't have anymore babies, but my budgie is laying anyway
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 PM
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute

For the sake of your female's health, she really needs to be prevented from mating/breeding with any male in your flock.
Only you can ensure that this behavior is prevented.

First, I recommend that you separate the female from the male totally.
Put the male(s) in different cages, in a different rooms from where you house the female(s).

Make sure you are rearranging the cage of the particular female that has been mating every couple of days.
Rearrange everything in the cage - perches, toys, food and water dishes, etc.
If possible, move her cage from location to location in the room and/or in the house.
Do not allow any of your female budgies to have a nest box or anything that can be used as a nesting site in the cage.
Allow the female(s) to have out-of-cage time ONLY when she is under your direct supervision so you can ensure she is not going into corners, drawers, etc. where she might make a nest.
A couple of hours a day is sufficient for out-of-cage time.
Remove all eggs and dispose of them immediately.

Keep in mind that a budgie lays a specific number of eggs each cycle.

The first week the hen's body is preparing to lay the eggs.
The next two weeks is when the eggs are laid.

If a hen begins a cycle and you remove the egg(s) and start action to break the cycle, she will often continue to lay until the changes in the environment trigger her body to stop.