Talk Budgies Forums - View Single Post - so what is yellow face
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
tonic (Toni)
Older Budgie

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
tonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these points

hi there,

the inheritance mostly works like a dominant gene, so understanding what causes yf is not necessary to work out the breeding results luckily... as nev said there is some disagreement.

the only difference from a normal dominant-recessive inheritance pattern i can i think of is with yf1 where a df yf1 has a white face like a non-yf1. the other two act just like you would expect a dominant gene to.

i think there are two theories as to what a yf actually is. some think it is a mutation of the blue gene so that it does not completely lose the yellow. if this is true then a green bird cannot be yellow face, but it can be green/yf blue.

others think it is a completely separate gene that causes the yellow to appear on the blue. in this case any bird, including greens, can be yf but obviously it is not visible on a green...

these differences do make a bit of difference to inheritance but not enough to really confuse things.