Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictures from my trip!

5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  FaeryBee 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you asked to see pictures from my recent little trip. We stayed at the Quaker Square Inn which has been designated as a US Historical Site. The rooms are unique - circular because they are built inside of old grain silos. :D

Exterior

Lobby

Seating in Common Area off Lobby

My friend, Yvonne

Old Train Car inside hotel

Old Quaker Oats Art

Circular Room

Interesting Artwork on Silo Walls inside the hotel common areas

Thanks for taking the time to look! :wave:

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that looks so cool with the circular rooms! :) were you very high up? :)

Reactions: FaeryBee
#12 · (Edited)
I "fixed" the next to the last picture which I'd accidentlly deleted before posting the thread. :eek:

Unfortunately, we were not very far up. Although the buildings were restored into a hotel, they have since been purchased by a university. The university still rents out the first three floors as hotel rooms but uses the remaining floors as student housing -- cool, huh?

Looks like a really nice place. Did it feel odd being in a room with rounded walls?
The building looks almost futuristic while the inside has the old world charm.
Did you have a good time? The photos are really great. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :D
It was nice, Arlene. I can't say it felt "odd" in the round room but it was definitely interesting! We had a great time and I'm glad you liked the photos.

i♥mybudgies;981929 said:
Ohhh I love hotels! :D Looks like you had fun.
Thanks, we did have fun. It was our first road trip together and an interesting place to stay. We may actually go back there someday and use it as a base to explore the surrounding areas. There is a big national park nearby with waterfalls, as well as Amish communities you can visit to get a better perspective of their much simpler lifestyle. :)

What a lovely unique hotel. The rooms look really nice and comfortable. Just the sort of place I would love. I hate modern and it has really old world charm.
The room was very comfortable but being in what used to be old grain silos right at "Quaker Station" it was literally right next to the train tracks. I got to hear freight trains going by all night. (Which I actually enjoyed because it brought back memories of growing up in the mid-west. Although I didn't sleep much. :giggle:)

Wow! That is such a cool place. What'd you have for breakfast ? :p:D;) Just kidding. Really nice hotel. Glad you had a good time :)
:laughing: I was going to have Quaker Oats which is what I eat at home each and every day. However, in their complimentary breakfast buffet you could make your own fresh waffle so I had that instead. (After gaining probably 5 lbs I'm waddling around thinking I need to exercise! :laughing1:)

The hotel has a mini train in it? :eek:

I love that circular room. You must have had a great time there :D

How was the food?
The hotel actually has a full train car inside it which was converted into a diner. :D For our dinner we went out to a very nice restaurant in town which had spectacular food.

I'm glad you had a lovely time. That hotel is awesome! Love the art. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Dries -- glad you enjoyed the pictures. :)

Very cool artwork and internal layout, making the best of the original structure. Nice photography, too.;)
Thanks, Eamon!

I like it when they restore old buildings.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you have shared it with us.
Thank you -- I understand what you mean about building restorations and I love them too!

Omg. That hotel is totally awesome.
Yeah -- It was definitely a fun experience.

#3 ·
Looks like a really nice place. Did it feel odd being in a room with rounded walls?
The building looks almost futuristic while the inside has the old world charm.
Did you have a good time? The photos are really great. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :D

#10 ·
I like it when they restore old buildings. A very nice idea to change the silo in a hotel. And I also like the older type of room, not modern, but more country like. Hope you understand what I mean.
Here my optometrist do restorations of old house. Her rooms looks like the olden days houses with high ceilings with patterns and borders on the walls, wooden floors, wooden windowsils, the wooden windows which moves up and down.
Here they are changing an old power station into different shops, but the inside is so modern that it will not remind you of a power station.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you have shared it with us.

#15 ·
It was very cool!

That's an amazing way to restore the old building.

We have silos like that nearby. They are restored also, and they have craft stores inside. Also, little workshops were artists actually work on their art.
And there is a maple syrup museum with displays on how they used to make maple syrup. We have Mennonites/Amish here.

I love the idea of the train car inside the hotel.

Sigrid
I like the craft shops and artists in the old building too!!
In Alexandria, Virginia they have an building that was an old Torpedo Factory that is set up that way. :wow:!

#14 ·
That's an amazing way to restore the old building.

We have silos like that nearby. They are restored also, and they have craft stores inside. Also, little workshops were artists actually work on their art.
And there is a maple syrup museum with displays on how they used to make maple syrup. We have Mennonites/Amish here.

I love the idea of the train car inside the hotel.

Sigrid

#17 ·
Wow, I hadn't realized how 'corner' oriented I was until I saw your photos, with a feeling of 'that's not right' over the rooms curving and the furniture not sitting flush with the wall. Very interesting. I bet it was unique and fun. Thanks for sharing!

#21 ·

I think the fact that the furniture doesn't sit flush with the walls would definitely be a decorating challenge in a home! :giggle:

That is really neat!! :) Thanks for sharing!!
Glad you enjoyed seeing the pictures. :cool:

That is so cool! I'm jealous, Deb! Thanks for sharing:)
Maybe you'll get to go there one day! :hug:

Your trip seemed like LOADS of fun!! Loved the pics, thanks for sharing :)
It was made more special because I was able to share the time with my good friend!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.