Talk Budgies Forums

Talk Budgies Forums (https://www.talkbudgies.com/forum.php)
-   Artwork (https://www.talkbudgies.com/87-artwork/)
-   -   RavensGryf's *OLD* artwork (https://www.talkbudgies.com/artwork/383425-ravensgryfs-%2Aold%2A-artwork.html)

RavensGryf 02-06-2017 02:48 PM

RavensGryf's *OLD* artwork
 
I just love looking at all of your artwork threads :). I kept saying to myself I need to eventually post some of mine. It's all old stuff though, which is why I haven't posted it until now.

I literally forgot how to draw, and am not as creative anymore. I feel it would take a good amount of time and re-learning at this point to get me back to even half of what I was able to do before. I don't have a lot of leisure time, but maybe if I do it in the evenings when the birds are out. We'll see. Keeping up on the artwork threads here have really inspired me to take interest in maybe learning how to draw again. :)

So as the name implies... This stuff that I'll start with are drawings from the 1990's. I have earlier pieces, but I'm not sure where they are now :(. I hope I can find them, as I have a favorite piece that is currently lost.

I've enjoyed drawing all of my life, but never took a class (until adulthood), so I did things the long way and the wrong way technically, but after taking an excruciatingly long time, they'd end up finally looking pretty good anyway. But I was so limited... So finally, in the late 90's, I took a basic drawing class so that I could learn to draw 3-D, like a person or animal not just facing front or side. I hated the class because the 'exercises' we needed to do were of drawing things that I didn't feel like drawing at the time lol.

Okay, uploads coming :)

RavensGryf 02-06-2017 03:36 PM

This is one of the "projects" we had to do in that class. The instructor wanted a car and a fish (or maybe it was any animal). I was pretty slow at drawing, so I was only able to finish the fish by the deadline. I don't think I got an A lol.
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psptkxudwo.jpg
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psnoflftp1.jpg

Here's something else I didn't feel like drawing at the time... it had to be a glove and a glass. This was an exercise in hard and soft textures. Being highly critical of my own work, I don't like the glass as much as the glove. I remember I had trouble with the glass shape. I forgot what the media was because it was so long ago and not something I'm familiar with. Is it charcoal?
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psmelzrsz4.jpg

Another from the drawing class. I like the bottle, but I wasn't really sure 'how' to do the scratching (whatever you call that) behind the bottle, so it ended coming out way too thick. I remember the instructor was going "whoa there!" when he saw that part, and I said 'well I obviously don't know how to do it!' :laughing2:
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psgpxp95tn.jpg

This monster fish was just a doodle...
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psqlj4215y.jpg

This vine-work design was a freehand sketch of part of the tattoo artwork for my back. Please don't ask me to show the tattoo. I just personally don't feel comfortable putting that on the internet. Besides, the tattoo came out about 1,000 times WORSE than my drawing :mad::crying: and I'm STILL angry about that to this day, and that was a long time ago! He was a good artist but had a bad day, lucky me.
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...pswtqxmbnr.jpg

Here are some "fun" drawings :)

These cartoon sea creatures were drawn freehand by looking at photos of the real fish and sea creatures. It was done on mat board and colored with basic colored pencils. I'm not sure what you call the kind of pen I used to outline. I never knew much about professional materials, so I'd just use the wrong paper and whatever pencils I had :D.

https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psl0yqgfaa.jpg
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psqath9ozq.jpg

Worried Clownfish
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psbqnxm0cs.jpg

Angry Damsel fish
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psclkh31ot.jpg

RavensGryf 02-06-2017 04:03 PM

Some more I did with the fine pen and colored pencils. All freehand... I nearly went cross-eyed then blind. You can see where I had a little help from White Out :).


https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psrpwar1l7.jpg
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psiz24wq6v.jpg

Moon with an 'oops' smear :(. I especially love moon designs, and have been attracted to that sort of design ever since I was very yong.. I don't know why.
https://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psnxblamd5.jpg

Therm 02-06-2017 04:19 PM

Julie, these are amazing.
The glass and the glove look *amazing*. Even though i get where your critical eye is coming from, as I scrolled down I thought it looked more like a photo than a drawing.

I also love the moon, even with the ooops mark. These are all great. :)

FaeryBee 02-06-2017 04:26 PM

Julie,

You have a lot of talent! I absolutely LOVE the picture of the glass and the glove - it is amazing.

I also love the picture of the fish that is just above the picture of the glass and glove. I think I may have met him when I was scuba diving. ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work as you locate it.

HappiBudgie 02-06-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therm (Post 3937593)
Julie, these are amazing.
The glass and the glove look *amazing*. Even though i get where your critical eye is coming from, as I scrolled down I thought it looked more like a photo than a drawing.

I also love the moon, even with the ooops mark. These are all great. :)

:iagree: The glove and glass look so real :)

BooksBudgies 02-06-2017 08:44 PM

That's amazing! I had no idea you were an artist as well so I am very glad you made this thread to share it! As said above, the glove and glass is amazing! I love how you even did the glass's reflection back on the table...that must've been difficult. I love all the shading and detail on it! The other drawing I especially love is the first one of the fish. I love its eyes and the wrinkles on its face. I know from experience how hard it is to do fins so congrats on doing them so well! :giggle:

I remember my art teacher being a little annoyed with me too because I also tend to spend "too much" time getting the drawing just right. School projects that have drawing in them take me the longest to do:001_rolleyes: And also, bravo for doing such a good job on drawing those pieces you didn't feel like doing at the time. Since art can be so closely linked to emotions and how you feel about the subject, it can be difficult to get it to turn out. And I'd say yours went beyond just "turning out." :D

Thank you so much for sharing and I hope you'll post more! With talent such as yours, I'm sure if you do more art it'll turn out splendidly, even if you don't think so :)

SmolBirb 02-06-2017 08:47 PM

They look fantastic! I love the moon and personally believe that it looks better with the oops mark :) to be honest I thought it was on purpose before reading your caption!

StarlingWings 02-06-2017 09:42 PM

Julie,

These are absolutely astounding drawings! I agree with all the above comments about the glove and the glass. I love those two words together, and the drawing of them both is spectacular!

I love the rest of them too, they look so real! :D I do hope you'll show us more sometime ;)

RavensGryf 02-07-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappiBudgie (Post 3937793)
:iagree: The glove and glass look so real :)

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Therm (Post 3937593)
Julie, these are amazing.
The glass and the glove look *amazing*. Even though i get where your critical eye is coming from, as I scrolled down I thought it looked more like a photo than a drawing.

I also love the moon, even with the ooops mark. These are all great. :)

Thanks Emma. That is a huge complement coming from such a talented artist!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaeryBee (Post 3937617)
Julie,

You have a lot of talent! I absolutely LOVE the picture of the glass and the glove - it is amazing.

I also love the picture of the fish that is just above the picture of the glass and glove. I think I may have met him when I was scuba diving. ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work as you locate it.

Thanks Deborah! I am looking at these trying to figure out 'how' I even did them. The cartoon sea creatures wouldn't take me too long to be able to do that again, but the complicated pieces, I don't even have a clue anymore where to start!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooksBudgies (Post 3937825)
That's amazing! I had no idea you were an artist as well so I am very glad you made this thread to share it! As said above, the glove and glass is amazing! I love how you even did the glass's reflection back on the table...that must've been difficult. I love all the shading and detail on it! The other drawing I especially love is the first one of the fish. I love its eyes and the wrinkles on its face. I know from experience how hard it is to do fins so congrats on doing them so well! :giggle:

I remember my art teacher being a little annoyed with me too because I also tend to spend "too much" time getting the drawing just right. School projects that have drawing in them take me the longest to do:001_rolleyes: And also, bravo for doing such a good job on drawing those pieces you didn't feel like doing at the time. Since art can be so closely linked to emotions and how you feel about the subject, it can be difficult to get it to turn out. And I'd say yours went beyond just "turning out." :D

Thank you so much for sharing and I hope you'll post more! With talent such as yours, I'm sure if you do more art it'll turn out splendidly, even if you don't think so :)

Thank you Katie, another talented artist who has inspired me to get this stuff out... I would love to try to draw again once I dust the cobwebs off the creative part of my brain!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmolBirb (Post 3937833)
They look fantastic! I love the moon and personally believe that it looks better with the oops mark :) to be honest I thought it was on purpose before reading your caption!

Thank you Deanna. I very much enjoy seeing your talent, and I appreciate your complement!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarlingWings (Post 3937881)
Julie,

These are absolutely astounding drawings! I agree with all the above comments about the glove and the glass. I love those two words together, and the drawing of them both is spectacular!

I love the rest of them too, they look so real! :D I do hope you'll show us more sometime ;)

Thanks so much Star. I'm glad you like them! I'm still looking for more that wasn't in my portfolio. I'll post them if I can ever find them. Then... I need to start seeing what I can do now besides stick figures :giggle:.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.